Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Getting rid of rattles and road noise.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Ok well basically due to the amount of time I spend carting people around in my VN, I've decided it's well overdue to have all the rattles and road noise made as quiet as possible.

What my current plans are are to reglue the door trims (I stuffed them up because I used crappy contact cement when I redid my interior), to use a bitumen based sound deadening paint on the floor and in front of the dash, and I also want to find a way to stop the windows rattling inside the doors when they're wound down. Is it possible to put a non-abrasive foam or felt or something inside the doors to hold them fairly still without scratching?

I'll also be taking the entire dash out to paint it properly (I've given it a fairly good run with that cheap $2.50 spray paint). So basically, I'm going to take a day or two to remove basically the entire interior again, paint the metal both on the floor and under the door trims, do the insides of the doors and repaint the dash with the right sort of paint.

What other things can I do to help reduce the amount of road noise and rattles?

Oh, and by the way - VNs look REALLY schmick with a black dash. Seriously. It's like a brand new car, even with cheap spray paint!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Mate its a VN, sell the damm thing:p, I know what my Calais was like.
To be honest it comes down to how much you want to spend. You would really be looking at replacing all the suspension componets for starters, making sure just about every screw and bolt is done up tight, certain tyres will give off more road noise then others, re-grease every moving part........etc,etc...
Just spend the money on more stereo componets and turn it up so you cant hear the noise's:w00t:
AirStrike :air:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
The suspension is already good ;).

I do wish I'd gotten a bigger loan and got a VS, but hey - now I'll have more money available to get a Crewman SS sooner ;).

But in the meantime I do want to make it just a tad nicer to sit in ;).

P

pathfinderus maximus

dont forget to look at noise coming from under the bonnet
check what condition any sound insulation on the under of the bonnet is in

not sure how you could add to it but have a look any way
:)

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Thanks for the tip, PFM ;).

I'm planning on fitting the parts you're sending me when I do all this too. I'm just trying to decide what colour to do the roof lining stuff thingy. I'm thinking black. Yeah. Black's the ticket. Woo! I was thinking white but that's a lot of hood lining to potentially get real dirty.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 vy v6 manual ute
he obviously likes the car enought to have brought it in the first place, so why should he sell it? As for the windows it could be a matter of tightening up the bolts that hold it in or adjusting them, my calais use to do the same thing and I laso had to put new bolts in to hold the motor in ( electric windows)and new rubbers on the sides of the window. hope this helps.

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Biteme - thanks for the response, I must have missed it at first I don't remember reading it ;).

I've got a mate who's in the carpet industry and I'm going to get some really dense cotton underlay off him. I've finally come to a conclusion about how I'm going to paint the ENTIRE interior (black and red, hooray!) and in the process I'll be stuffing every nook and cranny with the cotton underlay as well as cleaning it all up and tightening everything that needs tightening!

So uhh, sorry for the late reply and bumping my own dead topic ;).

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
The dense underlay will have a noticeable improvement in road noise. The more expensive models get this stuff standard and it does a fantastic job. Take a spin in a Statesman/Caprice to compare. You'll still get a lot of noise through the doors though and there's no easy way to get sound deadener (i.e. bitumen spray) in there without pulling the whole door to pieces. For any rattles through the window glass have a look at the nylon runners in the window guides and there's a possibility some rivets may have loosened in the door over time on the winding mechanism. Could also suggest new door rubbers to stop the doors moving as much as they may currently be.

Mark.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
when I get my 5.0 VN Calais I want to redo the entire interior in black with the same colour as the body. How difficult is it to take out every part that you can see from inside to spray it.

Also, barring the $2.50 spray cans, what other way is recommended? Take it to a sprayer and get them to do it?