Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

GM.com - Warning of what to expect now under ACL Warranty now Holden is gone.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I wonder if Holden/GM will offer a settlement at the door of the courtroom? “We fit a new LS3 to your car, just sign this confidentially agreement“?
Not likely. Holden/GM don’t have anything to lose here anymore unfortunately.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Would you really want another Mexican built LS3....

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I wonder if Holden/GM will offer a settlement at the door of the courtroom? “We fit a new LS3 to your car, just sign this confidentially agreement“?

Ron certainly didn't get that stipulation on his paperwork ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Would you really want another Mexican built LS3....
If i wanted to keep the car, i'd probably pay an expert to strip the engine and access damage to the block and pistons, cam, valve gear, etc and determin whether it can be rebuilt to a better specification than mexican build :p If it can be rebuilt, then the cost of diagnosis and the rebuild costs is what i'd go after... but that's if i still wanted a Holden after all the screwing around :rolleyes:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Considering the history of the mass built Mexican LS3's I'd pull down a brand new crate motor and measure.

Hell, even the LSX motors had issues.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Such issues have been addressd by ACL and clarified by ACCC

Consumer guarantees

Your statutory rights that cannot be replaced, limited or removed by any agreement, contract or warranty, or made subject to non-disclosure conditions.

However, it wasn't unheard off for such agreements to be signed...
Heck, I'd sign, knowing they are somewhat questionable and in fact legally unenforcable :p

Non-disclosure agreements
A non-disclosure agreement (also known as a confidentiality agreement) is a legal contract between two or more parties that prevents the disclosure of certain information to an outside party.
A non-disclosure agreement may be used to settle a dispute between a consumer and a person or a business, so that both sides can achieve a result without having to go to court or tribunal.
:
"Consumers who raise a complaint about a product or service may be asked by the trader to sign a non-disclosure agreement, in order to receive a replacement, refund or compensation, and settle the dispute. It is not compulsory for the consumer to sign a non-disclosure agreement."
From 28 February 2019, a non-disclosure agreement cannot limit a consumer’s ability to lodge a complaint with NSW Fair Trading. Any such terms in a non-disclosure agreement will be void and not legally enforceable.
Before or at the time of asking a consumer to enter into a non-disclosure agreement, the law requires that the trader inform the consumer of their ongoing right to lodge a complaint with Fair Trading.
If a trader fails to inform a consumer of their ongoing right to lodge a complaint with Fair Trading, the law provides for maximum penalties of $22,000 for offences by corporations or $4,400 in any other case.

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
Sometimes I think I need to dump my MSE while the market is up because of said shitefuckery and those unexplored grenades within the engine.
Just reading this thread and other member's issues makes me very nervous. I have 33k on the clock and so far (touch wood) have not had any problems other than a replaced battery. My LS3 is as quiet as a mouse on cold startup but am wondering if/when it will also shite itself.
I have been told by an expert that our cars will gain value but can't help thinking now might be a good time to sell before engine problems arise and basic spare parts dry up

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just reading this thread and other member's issues makes me very nervous. I have 33k on the clock and so far (touch wood) have not had any problems other than a replaced battery. My LS3 is as quiet as a mouse on cold startup but am wondering if/when it will also shite itself.
I have been told by an expert that our cars will gain value but can't help thinking now might be a good time to sell before engine problems arise and basic spare parts dry up

If your engine is quiet at 33k it will most likely stay that way

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Engine parts aren’t going to be a problem for the V8’s due to the sheer volume of them available in the US. Trim and body parts on the other hand....

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
If your engine is quite at 33k it will most likely stay that way
Thanks Ron, coming from one who has gone through the experience, this gives me a bit more confidence :)

Engine parts aren’t going to be a problem for the V8’s due to the sheer volume of them available in the US. Trim and body parts on the other hand....
Yeah, I meant all parts in general considering GM has left our shores. I guess there will always be after-market parts but at what quality?
Perhaps better than original, or not.