Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gremlins In Airconditioning VS

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Hi Guy,

I have a VS Calais Series II, 3.8, the problem is with my climate control air conditioning, when I'm travelling up a hill or even a slight incline my airflow will change from the airflow going on the face area to being directed onto my feet, as soon as the road levels out the airflow will go back onto the face vents again. This happens on AUTO mode or MANUAL mode. I had my condensor replaced Nov 03, rest of system serviced and regased. Any ideas.

Regards wpr.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
This problem is usually caused by a loss of vacuum going to the a/c system under load, either hills, towing or hard acceleration. It can be a pain to find but make sure the vacuum lines at the engine are all OK and check that the heater tap is working correctly. This can be one of the most common problems with the vacuum so disconnect the vacuum hose from the rear of the heater tap (drivers side wheel arch area next to engine exhaust) and fit a small screw into the hose, go for a run and see if that fixes it, if so replace the heater tap. Other than that the vacuum chamber can get damaged but is not normal.

As I said it can be a pain to find these problems, all I can say is find any vacuum operated solinoids and do like the heater tap. If that fails it may be in the control unit. Get it looked at professionaly but ask if they have a vacuum hand pump to check it, otherwise it will take them all day at $50+/hour.

Hope that helps a little, Kindest regards Guy.

wpr

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV AVALANCHE WAGON VYII
Thanks Guy, will check it out.
Regards wpr.

malemailmaleman

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SLE SUPERCHARGED 208
If my memory serves me correctly there is a round vacuum holding tank under the left hand front wheel arch/guard area. these tanks hold a reserve of vacuum.........doesnt make sence as how can the hold a vacuum but you know what i mean. I had the same problem and my tank had split in an accident i had had. Also chect the vacuum line there.