Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding under load?

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
The one I replaced was a manual, I'm not too sure if the mounts are the same but I'd still be checking it out. The mounts are quite easy too replace if this is the problem, remember you are not looking for a failed mount but the area between the upper and lower section which is joined together by the vulcanised rubber, where insufficient clearance will cause occasional metal to metal contact.

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
The one I replaced was a manual, I'm not too sure if the mounts are the same but I'd still be checking it out. The mounts are quite easy too replace if this is the problem, remember you are not looking for a failed mount but the area between the upper and lower section which is joined together by the vulcanised rubber, where insufficient clearance will cause occasional metal to metal contact.

The mount for autos is two solid rubber mounts approx 5cm thick, and they don't look compressed at all, so I don't think that's what's causing it. The mechanic I went to was certain it was a problem with the exhaust, a baffle or something loose inside the front section. He said it was the same noise earlier falcons made with exhaust problems.. Need to convince Holden to replace it if I can.. Alternatively, can anyone suggest a good aftermarket exhaust?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
The mount for autos is two solid rubber mounts approx 5cm thick, and they don't look compressed at all, so I don't think that's what's causing it. The mechanic I went to was certain it was a problem with the exhaust, a baffle or something loose inside the front section. He said it was the same noise earlier falcons made with exhaust problems.. Need to convince Holden to replace it if I can.. Alternatively, can anyone suggest a good aftermarket exhaust?[/QUOT

If you can get the car up on ramps or a hoist, give the exaust a few thumps upwards with your hand and see if you get any noise from within the exaust. Actually did the mechanic do this if he thinks it is the exaust.

Just remember if you change the exaust you may void all warranty from Holden.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Just remember if you change the exaust you may void all warranty from Holden.

Nup.... warranty will be fine.
No way Holden can void your entire warranty because of an aftermarket mod to car. The most they can do is try to worm their way out of something RELATED to the part you've changed.... for instance a suspension problem because you've changed springs.
But changing exhaust and then Holden claiming "umm.... engine fell out of car because of your exhaust and we arent covering it" is a bit of a stretch ;).

Supe

Supe
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Check the diff, the sharpening knives noise you mentioned is exactly what my old VY SS used to sound like and it was the wrong diff oil after months and months of searching for it. It also would be almost like clockwork that it would make the noise after turning the corner and accelerating. It did also do it on coasting but only at speeds less than about 15kmh which is the only part that doesn't match your symptoms.

Last edited:

schwanm

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6
So bit of an update for you guys..

I had a transmission service done today, flush the fluid, replace filter and clean the sump..

.. And the noise is gone! Let it get cold, took it for a drive and it was silent and smooth everywhere that it used to make the grinding scraping sound :beer chug: awesome! Too bad Holden couldn't figure it out.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
So bit of an update for you guys..

I had a transmission service done today, flush the fluid, replace filter and clean the sump..

.. And the noise is gone! Let it get cold, took it for a drive and it was silent and smooth everywhere that it used to make the grinding scraping sound :beer chug: awesome! Too bad Holden couldn't figure it out.

My VE SS had a grinding noise coming from it as well after I serviced my Auto Trans. Couldn't work out what it was. Then I checked the Trans oil level again and found it was a little low. Added around 1/2 a litre and the grinding noise went away.
This may have been the same noise as I had and may because it needed more fluid. I think the noise was from the torque converter.

SSv_6ltr

Bundy on Dudes.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm
I had a similar problem, took the car to three different holden dealers and Pedders.
I found my front sway bar components were faulty, I grabbed my sway bay and I could move it with little restriction sideways (approx 10-15mm), informed holden and they looked/replaced all faulty components under warranty. Noise has gone...happy chappy here...:yahoo: