Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Group C Big Banger Spec Help

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
BTW @Lacksballs , I've probably said it before somewhere, but I will say it again....love your car.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
That makes more sense, getting the rear bumper to "cut" into & around the rear flare was a real mission. I wanted to keep the flare & bumper both bolt on rather than using a urethane style sealant to adhere & fill any small gaps. So I needed to have a small gap to allow the bumper & flare to move independently of each other without rubbing the paint off. If you were to glue, paint then wrap the car in "Marlboro" decals it would hide a multitude of imperfections.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I did some research prior to building mine (I've built a road car version), wheels & tyres are the hardest parts to find or replicate.

From memory I thought HDT used 16x10 Momo AP racing rims on the VK Group C day-glow cars & painted them white, I couldn't find anything similar at the time in Australia so elected to use 15 inch Weld ProStar 15x10 rear & 15x8 front (imported from the US, multiple copies available as well), tyres are the next headache as 15 inch tyres sizes are limited compared with the early 80's. I ended up using 265/50 rear & 225/60 front but could have gone with 295/50 on the rear. A mate of mine built a replica VK 05 race car and got set a of used 15" slicks off a "muscle car".

Some have had rims specially made in the $1,500 - 2,000 each range ($6-8k), that way you can specify the backspace & diameter.

Rear prior to powder coating:
View attachment 200676
Front powder-coated & decals:
View attachment 200677
Mine finished:
View attachment 200681
Actual 05 race car:
View attachment 200680

Possibly the best close match wheel I have seen for these.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
That makes more sense, getting the rear bumper to "cut" into & around the rear flare was a real mission. I wanted to keep the flare & bumper both bolt on rather than using a urethane style sealant to adhere & fill any small gaps. So I needed to have a small gap to allow the bumper & flare to move independently of each other without rubbing the paint off. If you were to glue, paint then wrap the car in "Marlboro" decals it would hide a multitude of imperfections.

Thats what I meant the rear bumper. Still looks tops and tuff as love it.

urkss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Hopefully lacksballs read this, stunning car mate, may l ask who you git your wheels through in the USA cheers urkss

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Prostars are easy to order even Aussie speed shops sell them here.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
I can’t remember where I got them from now (it was back in 2104), but it was directly out of the states. The USD-AUD was parity at the time, I remember that! I powder coated mine, but most just paint them these days.
You’ll need to measure your wheels (diameter & backspace) requirements then let google do the work for you.