Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gunky coolant - oil and tranny fluid ok

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hi guys

I have found the yellow plastic dipstick for the coolant and the radiator cap have this gunky brown crap on them.

Oil dipstick shows the oil is looking good (no milkyness) and the tranny fluid is red and fresh (just had it flushed/replaced).

Also, I had my radiator replaced in February.

Any ideas as to what it might be? Some people of forums say it could be tranny fluid getting in thru the cooler. Maybe it is but it doesn't seem to be affecting the tranny fluid.

Car is runnning great. No steamy exhaust so I think the head gaskets are still ok.

Is there something I might have missed here???

rocket0000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
me too mate my engine oil is clean no creamy **** in it or on the dipstick but i have some creamy **** at the bottom of my coolant reservoir dipstick.
i did a compression test for coolant to confirm if there is a blown mother ####er gasket but result came negative. i think one of the ####s at Holden service did put some oil or he pissed in my coolant. so am gonna flush it again and check after that.

paul-r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Wagon
The brown stuff is likely to be engine oil caused by a faulty inlet manifold gasket. I had the same problem.

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh ok, thanks paul-r, I will get the mechanic to check that out next service

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Yeah no doubt its the inlet gasket. Its not to hard a job todo your self, just need a day todo it, Costs a fair bit to get a mechanic todo, as the gaskets are about $160 + about 4 hours labour.

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Youch! Might have a look at the how-to's and see if there is something there. Cheers

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually checked this thread out before but didn't realise you did it till now! haha. Unfortunately, way beyond my mechanical capabilities. Looks like a bit of financial pain for me. Car runs great though, but I gather its one of those things left unchecked will eventually bite me on the arse.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I'd say its the inlet manifold gasket too , i replaced mine a couple of weeks ago , they do have a reputation of shitting themselves . Not a hard job just time consuming. The biggest problem is cleaning the old crap off the heads and intake surfaces .Get a spanner and see if the bolts on the manifold are tight. They have a habit of working loose .Tightening them up won't help cos the gasket will be stuffed but it is a good guide to tell is thats the problem . It is a bit different to doing the VR . On the vts you have to remove the tensioner pulley and the two coolant tubes which just pull out , remember to replace both O rings and use plenty of lube on them before refitting them. also you dont have to remove the coolant sensor cables or the thermostat housing .

dylanstone

tsu tsu tsu tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8L 1997 VT executive
over time every cars coolant turns brown and ends up with glunky deposits, which is why you have to or should flush it every so often. mines slightly brown (still green) my mates cars are the same and there all serviced by reputable mechanics regularly.
unless urs is different, which it doesnt sound, your car should be FINE :)