Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Harmonic balancer replacement cost?

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
Sorry Gentlemen, for the late reply, I'm not big on checking my emails every day

The seller I got mine ($24.66 free post)from, is no longer there, and as usual that I've seen over time, that eBay is getting worse for misleading Headings and Pictures. Prices have gone up. Anyway, have a look. This is the cheapest one I could find.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264060580327?epid=1357983567&hash=item3d7b3cb1e7:g:s~wAAOSwuuFgSIV6

Is yours man or auto, if auto you need a tool to hold the crankshaft from turning. I made my own.
Happy fixing. Cheers

Last edited:
P

Pauldw500

Sorry Gentlemen, for the late reply, I'm not big on checking my emails every day

The seller I got mine ($24.66 free post)from, is no longer there, and as usual that I've seen over time, that eBay is getting worse for misleading Headings and Pictures. Prices have gone up. Anyway, have a look. This is the cheapest one I could find.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264060580327?epid=1357983567&hash=item3d7b3cb1e7:g:s~wAAOSwuuFgSIV6

Is yours man or auto, if auto you need a tool to hold the crankshaft from turning. I made my own.
Happy fixing. Cheers
Yeah auto.ut I'm a master of bodging things so will work something out. I'll have a look on ebay. That one is from the UK so will take 2 weeks but judging by the original post date you can see I'm not in a rush, even tho I SHOULD BE!!

Thanks...

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 S1 SSV UTE
Your H/ balancer looks better than mine was. Mine was not noisy though, so I suspect you have other issues. Check your pulleys. I had a small noise and it was a backing washer to one of the idler pulleys that someone in the past, had bent, and it was just rubbing a bit on the back of the pulley. However, I replaced the pulleys and belts anyway. I remember that I did not like the backing washers in the kit, so I repaired the bent one and used it.
Here is a link to the one I got if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183771262649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

My ute is auto to, so I made a tool to hold the balancer from turning the motor (see pics of it) In the Haynes manual they use a clamping chain arrangement to hold the pulley. Personally, I don't like that arrangement, ok for the removal of the old one, but I don't like to strain the rubber between the inner and outer pulley ring. When I was using my pulley stop turning tool, LoL, I put a little piece of wood under the end to stop it from damaging the paint on the cross member and squashing a hose. I had to balance it there until I put the pressure on when undoing/tightening
This is the bolt I used. Cheers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254562729307?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Attachments

• DSC04871.JPG
    DSC04871.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC04867.JPG
    DSC04867.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC04872.JPG
    DSC04872.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC04869.JPG
    DSC04869.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC04870.JPG
    DSC04870.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 95
P

Pauldw500

Your H/ balancer looks better than mine was. Mine was not noisy though, so I suspect you have other issues. Check your pulleys. I had a small noise and it was a backing washer to one of the idler pulleys that someone in the past, had bent, and it was just rubbing a bit on the back of the pulley. However, I replaced the pulleys and belts anyway. I remember that I did not like the backing washers in the kit, so I repaired the bent one and used it.
Here is a link to the one I got if you are interested.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/183771262649?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

My ute is auto to, so I made a tool to hold the balancer from turning the motor (see pics of it) In the Haynes manual they use a clamping chain arrangement to hold the pulley. Personally, I don't like that arrangement, ok for the removal of the old one, but I don't like to strain the rubber between the inner and outer pulley ring. When I was using my pulley stop turning tool, LoL, I put a little piece of wood under the end to stop it from damaging the paint on the cross member and squashing a hose. I had to balance it there until I put the pressure on when undoing/tightening
This is the bolt I used. Cheers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254562729307?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
Cheers for the info.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
Seems tis the season for harmonic balancers...
My VE was starting to sound just like all the other older commodores (that distinct rattle that has you on edge but you know it's probably the pulleys).
Took it to my local trustworthy mechanic, turns out a few pullies and the balancer itself are near the end. Solid 10 year run since I bought it as second driver...
Long story short, $480 for parts and labour. Its an utter shitfight (meaning labour intensive) to get it done and I dont have the tools so I'm going to end up forking it.
Advise not to drive it too far from home; if the balancer shits the bed you could potentially blow the engine.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
I am replacing the Harmonic Balancer on my 15 yr old SS-V. Yes she is 15, made in Aug06
Order the Balancer from Mace Engineering, source an ARP bolt locally all sweet as, start looking for an 1 1/16" 12 point deep impact socket and they seem to be made of unicorn s#$t.
Yes, you can get them from the US of A for US$18, go to checkout and enter address (NZ) and voila $US80-110 for shipping. Ordinarily i wouldn't mind paying for that in shipping, if ordered today and arrived in the mail last week.

P

Pauldw500

So the puller has arrived and I might tackle it today or tomorrow if not. One question please...

When putting the new one on, do I need to balance it or just whack it on and tighten up?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So the puller has arrived and I might tackle it today or tomorrow if not. One question please...

When putting the new one on, do I need to balance it or just whack it on and tighten up?

Balance a harmonic balancer??? It can only go on in one position, so wack it on and away you go

P

Pauldw500

Balance a harmonic balancer??? It can only go on in one position, so wack it on and away you go
You know I knew it was a stupid question lol, but I'd read somewhere someone saying about having to use a ruler to measure it was sitting on straight lol.

OK thanks, I'll have a go at this today me thinks...