Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

has anyone had the lifters in a ls1 changed

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Has anyone had it done? How much did they cost to buy? How much to have them fitted?
Does anything else need to be changed at the same time?
My cars ticking has been for awhile and I think I might start to look at fixing it

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
You do not have to change them. I have a ls1 v8 too and mine was ticking as well. Had the mechanic open the top cover of the engine and he gave them a good clean. Now the car is really quiet.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
How can you clean them from the top? It's a heads off job to replace so I imagine heads off the clean?

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Did mine ( yeah heads off) but took that opportunity to change the cam and all related bits and pieces also. Cam and lifters cost about $3200 incl labour and other parts ( d.row timing chain, valve springs,new oil pump, under drive pulley.etc etc. list as long as your arm. )Try changing your oil to nulon street and track 15/50 as that seemed to make my lifters quieter before they were changed.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
That's a good price who did it? I'm using castrol edge 10w60 at the moment but I have used liqui moly 10w 40 which I thought was a bit quieter!
It's only ticking at warm idle or when I pull up to traffic lights at idle

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Kanga , Thats a very good price for lifters, cam, double row timing chain, valve springs, retainers, locks, underdrive pulley and arp balancer bolt? (guess) if I had the heads off I get them CNC ported since I`d never have them off again.
Also did they do rods and valve stem seals too if so that's a unbelievable price. same job in WA would cost 5000k easy

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Sorry my bad, just looked at the old invoice it was $3200 for the parts plus labour =$4300. Still for all that
work it was a good price as it included two dyno runs and the tune...Also there was a new belt in the price , rods, seals etc. Olsen Automotive in Adelaide did it...

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Can I ask where cause that's still a good price

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Kanga wrote......Olsen Automotive in Adelaide