Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Has anyone installed “Safebrake” braided brake lines?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
My purpose for fitting crimped braided lines was availability for the brake conversion I did....I wasn't running with an adaptor, where the possibility of a leak occurring with 2 seperate joins was greater than 1..
Alternatively, you could've used a VT rubber brake line. What "adaptor" are you talking about, a double flare, ISO or ball flare adaptor?

I wouldn't use an adaptor either, I'd re-flare the steel line in either double or ISO flare to suit the OEM rubber hose.

Ultimately, you're defending the use of a crimped fitting braided line for the convenience of doing a "roughie" on your brake system!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Alternatively, you could've used a VT rubber brake line. What "adaptor" are you talking about, a double flare, ISO or ball flare adaptor?

I wouldn't use an adaptor either, I'd re-flare the steel line in either double or ISO flare to suit the OEM rubber hose.

Ultimately, you're defending the use of a crimped fitting braided line for the convenience of doing a "roughie" on your brake system!

I am defending using a crimped braided line fitting because it has been approved by the rego authorities for use on road going cars and so far no reports have surfaced where road going cars fitted with these crimped fittings have failed....I have also mentioned where I have worked on cars with these fitted, where they have been used for various motor sport purposes with no issues.

Yours is, crimped ones have failed in motor sport applications, which I accept can occur...Even with straight rubber ones, it can occur....I also mentioned my experience differs from yours there, which isn't an issue.

You banging on about screw on fittings being the bees knees in motor sport circles does hold merit, but if they are so good a company would pick up on this and go through the headaches getting them certified for general purpose use, however they choose not to...I also offered up a reason why they wouldn't but this has been totally ignored on your behalf.

As for my choice...I don't trust my ability to flare brake lines and safe brakes offering an easy alternative for my flexible line solution , I took it, knowing it was perfectly legal to use....

I also didn't want to take it to my local brake joint too do the job, as I had a really bad experience with them once before...So once bitten, twice shy there....Need the name of them and the issue I had with them? They are a well known Adelaide Brake company with numerous franchised outlets..

The style of adaptor, I don't know the style...All I know was, I couldn't use the factory rubber VT flexible line on the VC steel brake line when the conversion was done....I did use the adaptor for a month or so, before I shelled out for the braided line...The brake pedal difference was noticeable with the swap...

Good enough explanation?

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You banging on about screw on fittings being the bees knees in motor sport circles does hold merit, but if they are so good a company would pick up on this and go through the headaches getting them certified for general purpose use, however they choose not to...I also offered up a reason why they wouldn't but this has been totally ignored on your behalf.
I think you'll find with brake lines, engineering compliance to use compression fittings must be done on the assessment of each individual car with the brake lines fitted. Despite engineering compliance for example in NSW with a multitude of SS's approved to use Redline Brembo's, each car still has to be individually assessed with engineering certification for approval. The same would apply with compression fittings and likely isn't possible to get mass compliance as they can with crimped fitting hoses to be commercially viable.
Good enough explanation?
Yes, great explanation similar to the guy who finishes last arguing with the race winner that he's got the best setup and fastest car!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I guess this is really a question for Safebrakes (or any other company that mass produces brake lines, rubber or braided types) do they randomly sample/test from each batch of brake lines produced? If the answer is no then the product should not be fitted to vehicles.

But to go back to the earlier photo posted in this thread, I whole heartedly believe that setup is incorrect but Ideally we need someone to post a photo of a stock brake line/caliper fitted on a VF strut to confirm my suspicions however using a earlier 3rd gen Commodore brake setup as a guide the angle on the banjo fitting is wrong putting the brake hose on the wrong angle over the caliper instead of the hose coming out from the brake caliper towards the strut. I posted a photo in a different thread to show what I meant.

This to me is wrong,
Xt9fQ3L.jpg

I believe this is how the brake line should be fitted (in terms of brake line routing) to ensure the line does not pull up tight which is where you risk damage to the crimp connection.

img-20230710-wa0008-jpeg.254219

Looking at this photo, the location and angle of the pad where the brake line banjo fitting bolts on is different to the earlier gen 3 style caliper and as such the gen 3 style brake line is not correct for this application.

LZXga0O.jpg

I would very much appreciate if someone could post a picture of a stock VF caliper/brake line/strut and put this argument to bed (about the brake line fitment).

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
mort remember naaf (not a abba fan) he used sell the ve brake kits and i found the thread where he says that the hose should follow the caliper
here the 10 year old thread he says it in post 30 even you made a few post too

all the caliper mounting points were the same at the front thats why vt- vz calipers fit so well and the hoses just follow the same as pre vt until the ve it was change to the rear

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I guess this is really a question for Safebrakes (or any other company that mass produces brake lines, rubber or braided types) do they randomly sample/test from each batch of brake lines produced? If the answer is no then the product should not be fitted to vehicles.

But to go back to the earlier photo posted in this thread, I whole heartedly believe that setup is incorrect but Ideally we need someone to post a photo of a stock brake line/caliper fitted on a VF strut to confirm my suspicions however using a earlier 3rd gen Commodore brake setup as a guide the angle on the banjo fitting is wrong putting the brake hose on the wrong angle over the caliper instead of the hose coming out from the brake caliper towards the strut. I posted a photo in a different thread to show what I meant.

This to me is wrong,
Xt9fQ3L.jpg

I believe this is how the brake line should be fitted (in terms of brake line routing) to ensure the line does not pull up tight which is where you risk damage to the crimp connection.

img-20230710-wa0008-jpeg.254219

Looking at this photo, the location and angle of the pad where the brake line banjo fitting bolts on is different to the earlier gen 3 style caliper and as such the gen 3 style brake line is not correct for this application.

LZXga0O.jpg

I would very much appreciate if someone could post a picture of a stock VF caliper/brake line/strut and put this argument to bed (about the brake line fitment).

I have Brembos, and the photo was taken to show the pads rather than the hose, but I think it’s clear enough

IMG_1469.jpeg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
mort remember naaf (not a abba fan) he used sell the ve brake kits and i found the thread where he says that the hose should follow the caliper
here the 10 year old thread he says it in post 30 even you made a few post too

all the caliper mounting points were the same at the front until the ve iteas change to the rear

I do remember NAAF but looking at that brake line it is not correct. At no point of the suspension articulation should the brake line be under tension.

Ultimately I think a photo of a stock VF will reveal all.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
This to me is wrong,
Absolutely it's wrong! The banjo fitting angle is wrong for the caliper and retainer position on the strut. A bit of rubber on the hose to prevent wear where it contacts the caliper so they can more safely use the wrong banjo angle, seriously!!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That piece of rubber is actually shrink tube and once the brake line is fitted and properly routed should be used to hold the hose in the grommet on the strut bracket, there is a piece of shrink tube on each side of the grommet and this step is covered in the Safebrake installation instructions.
See,
img-20230710-wa0006-jpeg.254217

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I think you'll find with brake lines, engineering compliance to use compression fittings must be done on the assessment of each individual car with the brake lines fitted. Despite engineering compliance for example in NSW with a multitude of SS's approved to use Redline Brembo's, each car still has to be individually assessed with engineering certification for approval. The same would apply with compression fittings and likely isn't possible to get mass compliance as they can with crimped fitting hoses to be commercially viable.

Yes, great explanation similar to the guy who finishes last arguing with the race winner that he's got the best setup and fastest car!

Unlike you, I see merits for both styles of hoses that have been mentioned...And should the screw in style be complianced, it'd definately be worth looking into...But it's not so pointless talking about it for street car usage