Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Headlight Cover Replacement

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
G'day all,
I hit a kangaroo a couple of days ago in my VF 2 SSV and smashed the drivers side headlight plastic cover. Luckily i
saw him early and was able to slow down before hitting him. The kangaroo wasn't happy but was able to run away. Can
someone tell me in detail how to replace it as I am not mechanically minded. I opened the bonnet and saw 2 black bolts above
the cover that might have something to do with it. If it is too hard I will take it to a panel beater I presume.
Regards
Merv

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
.... you talking about the plastic lens cover that is integral to the headlight?
or
a separate headlight protector cover? (purchased as an accessory from Holden or Supercheap or similar)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Not sure here but do you mean replace a headlight protector which is a thin piece of plastic over the light or the actual lights plastic lens?

You pretty much cant replace the front plastic lens part of the light housing as it is glued in place, if it is smashed the whole light unit gets replaced.

If it is just a protector then it will have a couple of screws on metal clips that you undo and slide the protector off.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There is a VF Accessory Installation manual, which I think outlines the installation of those bonnet and headlamp perspex guards many people have on their cars, can be found linked within this post.

The is a VF workshop manual also outlines the replacement of the headlamp assembly (as the headlamp assembly’s polycarbonate lenses can’t itself be easily removed even if it could they not available as a spare part in any case), the workshop manual can be found linked within this post.

(Both are PDF’s that you can download)

Merv53

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV
Thanks guys,
I mean the plastic cover covering the whole light unit. When you wash the car it is the bit you wash. The part
that would make contact with a kangaroo if you made contact with it at the front right part of the car.
I don't know how else to explain it

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
You mean the actual headlight, right? Where the old ones used to be made of glass, the new ones are plastic/polycarbonate.

You need to replace the whole headlight with a new one.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You can probably split the headlight apart in a hot box, heaps of videos on youtube about doing it, but you can't buy the lens separately so it's kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The following are VF headlamp assemblies. The polycarbonate lens you wash are not replaceable because they are glued to the black rear housing of the headlamp assembly and also because you can’t buy the polycarbonate lenses on their own…

VFPairHL.jpg

The following accessories are headlamp protectors, usually made from Perspex and as such they are user installed and user replaceable. They fit in front of the headlamp assembly and use clips/screws to hold them onto the headlamp assembly. These covers can also be washed…
1679308519015.jpeg

The headlamp protectI’ve cover kit is part number 92457312 according to the accessory installation manual I liked to in my earlier post above.

You can see the headlamp protective cover and the clips in their installed position in the pic below which also shows yje bonnet protective cover…

1679309063553.jpeg

So the question is which one are you talking about; the naked headlamp assembly itself or the user installed headlamp covers?

(though it doesn’t really matter as the answers have been provided whichever on it is)

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Thanks everyone. I am talking about the actual headlight which I now know needs replacing wholly. Wish i
could send the bill to that bloody kangaroo.

the damage you have might be just not quite enough for an insurance claim, however they are expensive and then the labour on top and any other minor damage would probably tip it over the edge.