Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headlight mods

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
Does anybody know what amperage the high and low beam relays are rated at on the 1998 VT? s'allright, 16 low and 30 high. now will it hurt to run 90/130 watt bulbs as they need 28 amps for the high beam and <16 for low beam. what problems might I be looking at?

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The main problem will be the extra heat from those globes might distort the plastic lens or housing. Good quality Narva or Philips 60/55w globes should do fine.

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
you cant run any brighter than 55w on ur low beam otherwise they will be to bright for on coming drivers anyway.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
brad_m_is, tell that to the people who blind me with their h.i.d. sytems. Nah, I wanted the information as I would like to fit the higher wattage bulbs for a trip to queensland, travelling via inland nsw. I like to be able to see the roos I am going to hit. No, really with the higher wattage bulbs you can see the reflection from their eyes a lot further away and have some time to avoid them, same with sheep, goats and other animals. they can't help looking at the lights and the reflection is a good warning sign that they are there. And it gets black out there!

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
accentstencil, you have me thinking now. I will try to come up with a small 12 volt fan mounted in the headlight body to get hot air out. Something like a cpu fan out of a computer. Thanks for reminding me that acrylic headlights are really a backward step on the part of the car manufacturers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
accentstencil, you have me thinking now. I will try to come up with a small 12 volt fan mounted in the headlight body to get hot air out. Something like a cpu fan out of a computer. Thanks for reminding me that acrylic headlights are really a backward step on the part of the car manufacturers

The only problem I can see with the fan idea is the amount dirt and moisture that will get in while the fan isn't on and that will make the inside of the lens and reflector quite dirty.
The Narva globes will give you a lot more light than a standard globe:Narva

don0xer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Calais 3.8L Supercharged
ive tried narva's and philips crystal vision 55w before, they were terrible... so so terrible for a $100 bulb, so when one blew i was very sceptical at buying another set. so i forked out another $80 for yet another philips bulb this time the +80% ones... theyre awesome well worth it. sure they look kinda yellow and **** compared to the nice white glow the crystals had but they shine up sighns/roos well even on low beam =]

+1 for +80% philips bulbs