Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

headunit wiring problem

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
hello guys and girls,

I'm having some trouble wiring my pioneer headunit into my VR commodore. I wired it all up, turn the ignition on, and it turns out the head unit doesn't turn on. Okay. I disconnected the earth and 12V wires and tested them with the interior light globe and the light doesn't turn on :bang: seems as if the earth or 12V wire doesn't work.

i checked the radio fuse and it seems to be alright. I've run out of ideas on what to do next :(

what should i do?

thanks,

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I had the same problem not that long ago in a VR. Turned out to be a blown fuse. Must have shorted when I was testing it.

Anywho check all fuses, remember that theres a constant 12v fuse and an ignition fuse for the radio.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
well i have checked the radio fuse and that seems to be fine. However, as i was disconnecting the old HU, two wires must of touched and i heard a zap.

roon_VR

VR executive Commodore
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8 V6 executive SII VR
i found the problem, it was the radio fuse that was hiding from me :S

thanks azzfox

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
as I said last post. there is two fuses. it sounds like your only have checked one.

dunno if its the same but for a VN/P:

Constant 12v for radio - Fuse #1
Ignition for radio - Fuse #13

also, make sure that your grounding the radio to chassis, not the stock earth loom.

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
as I said last post. there is two fuses. it sounds like your only have checked one.

dunno if its the same but for a VN/P:

Constant 12v for radio - Fuse #1
Ignition for radio - Fuse #13

also, make sure that your grounding the radio to chassis, not the stock earth loom.

ummm can I bring this subject alive again?

For my aftermarket pioneer I have the constant 12v going straight to the battery am I supposed to fuse it? lol I've had it going for well over a year and I thought I might check to see if I'm supposed to do that lol.

Thanks

speedyvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim Wagon
ummm come to think about it for real the headunit itself has a 10amp fuse but I but it doesnt go through the number 1 fuse inside the car.... thinking about it now it should be ok as its already fused :) my head unit is a pioneer

will be using the number 1 fuse tomorrow to get my electric aerial working tomorrow though lol

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
the fuse in the head unit is to protect the head unit internals. a fuse inline with the power wire is to protect the wire from melting and possibly causing a fire.

why diddnt you use the factory constant wire?