Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP!!! Alloytec oil filter cap wont come off!!!! Also clutch starting to die!!

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by _SimoN__, Jul 10, 2008.

1. _SimoN__

_SimoN__ New Member

Members Ride:
    Vz ute missing 2 cylinders :(
    Hey guys as title says i cant get my oil filter cap of my vz ute 175kw (i think).

I did a full service on it when i bought it :

Flushed the engine with additives then flushed it again with cheap oil then put some good oil in(forgot what i put in), flushed gearbox twice with cheap engine oil then put good stuff in and flushed diff once with diff oil and filled it up again, so i finished all that and was happy that all the hard stuff was done and only had one last easy thing to do, change the oil filter. No matter how hard i try i cant get it of even with 2 people fully pull on it!! i just dont want to do what that other bloke did and brake the bolt of lol.

The car has done 87 000 km (did the service at 85k) and im wondering if the oil filter has ever been changed? Does anyone know how i can get this of without breaking it? Or take it to a mechanic and see if they can do it?

I also think my clutch is starting to die. The previos owner was a female, and apparently only used it to put horse gear in the back and only towed the horses with a horse float a couple of times. But i had my doubts. Took a video the other night to get a better look at what its doing. Click here to view gay alloytec vid lol

Looks like the clutch is struggling to grip when i change to 3rd gear or is this normal?? i wasnt giving it full juice and its a manual not auto.

Thanks in advance

Simon.

2. naf33n

naf33n go

Members Ride:
    Supercharged VU SS
    just use more leverage. get a big pipe and put it over a breaker bar and it should come off. also try it when its cold so the metal has not it expanded. if that doesnt work warm up the motor and see if that works...

all else fails use a rattle gun

to answer your clutch question. standard ones are ****, everyone is in the same boat as you.

3. _SimoN__

_SimoN__ New Member

Members Ride:
    thanks for the reply.

yeh i been told to try that just gotta fine some piping lol

yeh figured that with the clutch.

dunno whether to change it or get a v8, if it can last a couple of months before i sell it, ill be happy.

4. Benboy

Benboy Active Member

Members Ride:
    2007 SVZ Wagon
    Make sure that you have thr correct size socket (23mm I think from memory) and it unscrews in an anti-clockwise direction. From what you've indicated someone may have put Loctite on the threads.

5. _SimoN__

_SimoN__ New Member

Members Ride:

thnx 4 reply. so u recommend just keep trying till it comes loose or i break something?

6. Deltak

Deltak Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    Just a thought, but if you warm the engine, fit the correct socket and use a breaker (solid) bar to the socket.

Apply the torque to the bolt and hit (tap) the top of the socket (light to medium) with a hammer. The impact generally shocks the siezed connection and the twisting should loosen the threads.

It shoud not take too much force.

7. Aggro_VE

Aggro_VE The Overseer

Members Ride:
    A lazy VE
    Exactly! the oil filter cap shouldnt be on that tight period! if that's the case. They do have a torque setting when tightening it up, BUT i didn't have a torque wrench that went that low for the setting, so I marked a tiny mark on the cap and the housing so when I put it back on it matches up to the marks. :)

8. BANKS

BANKS DW I'm a Spray Painter!

Members Ride:
    VZ SSZ Ute
    sounds stupid but see if you can tightern it up more...?

At our work on the planes, if we cant get screws/bolts out, we tighten them up a little bit more, then untighten them. Works everytime. Put a FARK load of inward pressure on it aswell.

9. _SimoN__

_SimoN__ New Member

Members Ride:
    ah k thanks for all the suggestions and tip ill try them as soon as i can find the the correct socket! Someone must have moved it somewhere >< looks like ill be heading down to supercheap to get another :bang:

thanks again.

10. VZ_1989

VZ_1989 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Acclaim
    Hey guys, I'm having the exact same problem. Can't get my bloody filter off...

Is it Anti-Clockwise to get it off? I've tried both ways, and it won't budge.

11. f1tzy

f1tzy New Member

Members Ride:
    FG XR6T Ute manual
    Yea from memory it is a standard thread bolt. I had the same issue the dumb ass mechanic (don't go to them any more) did it up so bloody tight. All you can really do has been mentioned above

12. monaro327

monaro327 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
    i do mine up by hand and then give about a half turn with a spanner never given me any issues. i think alot of people tend to over tighen it. but you don't need to as it has an oring for sealing.

13. theclogwog

theclogwog New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Acclaim
    Having the same problem, definitely not going back to the mechanic who did that. I tried using aq breaker bar and also a 24mm ring spanner and it wont budge. I might try the pipe, I just don't want to crack the housing.

14. richardpalinkas

richardpalinkas Blown Alloytec

Members Ride:
    Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
    Make sure to use a single hex socket on a breaker bar

15. adamcawood

adamcawood New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    I had the same problem yesterday it came down to a 2 foot bar and a shit load of pressure but it will come u can replace it if u break it I called first

16. cor3yz

cor3yz New Member

Members Ride:
    97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
    Those alloytech ones are always tight as. Must have something to do with the aluminum housing binding up when it heats up and expands. Just go the good old breaker bar. I've done a few and never cracked one. Some have taken a fair few muscles too haha

17. Zeussy

Zeussy SSM11K

Members Ride:
    Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
    As already stated its the design, not how tight the "Mechanics" do it up.

At my old work I used to do a bit of servicing, on most of the ones that I knew I serviced, and only just nipped the filter housing up, they were so tight when it came to undo them.

Its funny how everyone instantly bags their Mechanics, don't like it? Get a clue and do it yourself...

18. adamcawood

adamcawood New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6
    At least ur mechanic changed it or the oil for that fact part of the warranty on my car is that I have to take it back to the dealer to have it serviced at a fixed 200 bucks and they didn't Evan change the oil Or filter and that's what I payed 200 for

19. ivabiggen

ivabiggen Banned

Members Ride:
    vz Executive
    when tightening oil cap the same rule as spin on filtres apply, smear some clean oil around cap and just nip up lighty.

20. ivabiggen

ivabiggen Banned

Members Ride:
    vz Executive
    if anyone is unsure of how tight to do cap up, it is 26nm with an arrow pointing direction to turn, stamped on top of cap.