Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help car wont start sometimes

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
hi guys,

Very unusual problem. My car wont start sometimes. Its really weird cause i can't pinpoint when it does. Just random. It turns over put just doesn't start. Its like trying to start it with no fuel in it. What i need to do then is switch everything off and wait for like 5 mins and bang start on the first turn.
Any ideas whats going on? It has probably happened like 4 times now in the last 3 months.
any help and advice would be great!!!!!
Cheers

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
Fuel pump? or clogged injectors or your plugs are fouled?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
When it does not start check for spark. Can you here the fuel pump load up when the IGN is on?
If there is no spark could be coils,DFI module,CAS.
Also check the EFI relay and injector trigger obviously with the car not starting

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
When it does not start check for spark. Can you here the fuel pump load up when the IGN is on?
If there is no spark could be coils,DFI module,CAS.
Also check the EFI relay and injector trigger obviously with the car not starting

Hey mate,

Looks like you know what your talking about...
Sorry but how do i check for spark? Do i remove a lead?
and Fuel pump load? do i need to listen to a specific sound?
What am i looking for when i'm checking the EFI relay and injector trigger?
Cheers so much for your advise!!!!

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
My VX has done this twice of late and I discovered that if I pull the key out, press the button to lock the doors then press the button to unlock, put the key back in and it starts immediately. Someway or other, the immoboliser activates ( buggered if I know how or why) and the starter just turns over but won't fire till I do the above. Give it a try; costs nothing. Hope that works for you.

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
My VX has done this twice of late and I discovered that if I pull the key out, press the button to lock the doors then press the button to unlock, put the key back in and it starts immediately. Someway or other, the immoboliser activates ( buggered if I know how or why) and the starter just turns over but won't fire till I do the above. Give it a try; costs nothing. Hope that works for you.

Hey mate thanks for the tip but mine actually turns but just doesn't start. It's like trying to start a car without any fuel. Just so annoying as it happens randomly specially when i'm in a rush. After about 10 mins of trying it fires and all good after that.
any ideas guys?

ACEMonkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Acclaim S1
Should check the obvious first. Make sure your battery terminal connections are tight and aren't fouled up.

dunky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina V6
I definately reckon it is key related. As I posted previously, mine would wind over but wouldn't start just as yours is doing. My VX did it again the other day (wouldn't fire, just wound over. Took about 30 minutes before it would start) so as an experiment I swapped to the spare key when I got home as the main key looked rather worn and a bit of a sloppy fit. I have not had a problem since.
I reckon that the immobiliser wouldn't repond to the signal from the key because it is a bit old and worn and even though the key fits the ignition and winds the starter over, it wouldn't release the immobiliser and therefore the engine cannot start. Try this if you have a spare key.

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
wont start

hi dunky & scbh81
Just an idea guys that are the terminals around your ignition located properly. The key must make contact with them of course for it to be immobilised. If its out by 45 Deg, could create intrmittent problem. If its out by 90 Deg, well then she just will start not at all.
Put Both thumbs on the the terminals, push in and rotate anticlockwise until you feel the very fine click. If you cant move it means its located.
Hope this helps
KBELT

kbelt66

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs executive s2
dunky

The bateries in the paddlepops have atleast 3-7 year lifespan. Only VRs batteries can be replaced. With VT & VX you have to replace the paddlepop.
If the key is worn on the sides or top or both then it just wont turn and thats when it seems the ignition has shut down.