Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore starts sometimes

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yea but measuring between which 2 points?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hey everyone just thought I’d give an update. The car still has the same issue I’ve booked it In to another auto elec as the bloke who came before is on holidays now. I’ve also just changed the crank angle sensor with a brand new one and still the same thing. For those of you who are new to this story. The car was previously an LS1 (factory V6) then converted back to V6 as the ls running gear was completely junk and needed a daily. Bought a motor, trans wiring etc from wreckers. Installed everything and linked up bcm to ecu etc. For some extremely weird reason the car only starts when it basically wants too, it doesn’t matter now if it’s warm, cold or hot it just won’t crank. (Power but it won’t attempt to even crank the engine) Here’s a list of everything I have changed or done relating to this ongoing issue:

CRANK ANGLE SENSOR (NEW)
STARTER MOTOR (NEW)
IGNITION SWITCH (USED)
RELAYS (USED)
CLEANED ALL GROUNDS
BATTERY (NEW)
COILS/DFI (NEW)

Over this car now lol

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey everyone just thought I’d give an update. The car still has the same issue I’ve booked it In to another auto elec as the bloke who came before is on holidays now. I’ve also just changed the crank angle sensor with a brand new one and still the same thing. For those of you who are new to this story. The car was previously an LS1 (factory V6) then converted back to V6 as the ls running gear was completely junk and needed a daily. Bought a motor, trans wiring etc from wreckers. Installed everything and linked up bcm to ecu etc. For some extremely weird reason the car only starts when it basically wants too, it doesn’t matter now if it’s warm, cold or hot it just won’t crank. (Power but it won’t attempt to even crank the engine) Here’s a list of everything I have changed or done relating to this ongoing issue:

CRANK ANGLE SENSOR (NEW)
STARTER MOTOR (NEW)
IGNITION SWITCH (USED)
RELAYS (USED)
CLEANED ALL GROUNDS
BATTERY (NEW)
COILS/DFI (NEW)

Over this car now lol
I can't remember if you changed the pcm for the v6?

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
I can't remember if you changed the pcm for the v6?
Isn’t that just another name for the ECU? The BCM is the original one for that car although I can’t confirm if the previous owner who installed the ls changed it. But it was already paired with the key. The ECU came out of a VX EXEC V6.

Reactions: Lex

HoldenHoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V8
Hey everyone. I’m still having issues with this car and it’s still doing the exact same thing. So, there’s only two more things I’m going to do which is buying a new Neutral Safety Switch and a new key fob. I haven’t been able to test any of them because by the time I jack up the car and check for power at the NSS the car will start. So it’s pretty hard for me to check it while it’s faulting. What do you guys think? Anything else that’s part of the ignition system that might need looking into?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
This is naughty but loop out the NSS and then see if the problem goes away.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pull the plug off and put a jumper wire between the 2 terminals in the plug.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Pull the plug off and put a jumper wire between the 2 terminals in the plug.
The 2 plugs are the top one & the bottom one, this is if my memory is correct?
The other 2 are for the reverse lights.
1704076133567.png

1704076046827.png

Last edited: