Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help nic design a new sub box

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
2005 Mitsubishi Evolution 9
Good work mate, how thick is it? Are you making the front baffle 2x thick?

yeah it will be 2x thick but i will have the sub sitting on the bottom baffle so the box isnt to high, if you get what i mean

and the wood is 16mm thick, i didnt see any thicker at the shop :(

i still cant believe i used barely 2 sheets when they calculated it and told me i would be lucky to use 3,

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Fair enough mate, use two layers on the front for sure and brace liberally!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
To be honest 16mm sounds a little on the thin side, i'd really be doing some serious bracing as sweetfu said, a lot more than the simple ribs in your plan.

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
To be honest 16mm sounds a little on the thin side, i'd really be doing some serious bracing as sweetfu said, a lot more than the simple ribs in your plan.

yeah i read the other post, i havnt drawn up the bracing peices yet, im going to cut it all out first, and then start putting it together, still considering other bracing options

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Threaded rod seems to be okay, that can stop the flex in the larger panels. Also can cut internals baffles with holes cut in them, get a 90mm holesaw for your drill and cut holes in the internal brace panels if that makes sense

Nic92

Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Members Ride
Threaded rod seems to be okay, that can stop the flex in the larger panels. Also can cut internals baffles with holes cut in them, get a 90mm holesaw for your drill and cut holes in the internal brace panels if that makes sense

yeah i dont know what you mean

i think i know what you mean by threaded rod, goes from the bottom peice through to the top peice of wood?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah just buy threaded rod from bunnings, get some nuts and washers, run it through the larger panels (top piece to bottom piece) to stop flexing. For internal bracing, you pretty much want to do what this photo illustrates
subwoofer-box-v15a.png

Cut pieces which fit in the centre of the box, but cut holes so it doesn't disturb air flow etc

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You weren't going to go that complex were you? :p aha