Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help! Save an almost divorced VS 5L ute..

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Interesting, I am in Bribie Island so I think its like between 2m - 10m above.
yea sea level is bout 102kpa, gets lower as u go higher towards vacuum, its not far off but its a little and some stuff uses the baro for startup,

just thinking too is the map use for the timing for idle ? so now with a bigger cam ur map will be prob double the pressure then factory yours said 76kpa and stock would prob be in the 30-40kpa so it may not be applying as much timing as it needs to to suit the camshaft idling ?

Inj.Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Director replica 5L inj.
Can't hurt to try. Could try more too but don't get into it but I suspect it will clean up the idle and make it good enough to move it around without it fouling the plugs.
Ok so I tried the 14deg and straight off the bat it seemed to idle much smoother, when I revved it up it sounded good and also I noticed the idle down to base idle was smoother and faster.
I took it for a test and only half way up the street it was popping and crackling on acceleration.

Inj.Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea sea level is bout 102kpa, gets lower as u go higher towards vacuum, its not far off but its a little and some stuff uses the baro for startup,

just thinking too is the map use for the timing for idle ? so now with a bigger cam ur map will be prob double the pressure then factory yours said 76kpa and stock would prob be in the 30-40kpa so it may not be applying as much timing as it needs to to suit the camshaft idling ?
Ill check it out

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Ok so I tried the 14deg and straight off the bat it seemed to idle much smoother, when I revved it up it sounded good and also I noticed the idle down to base idle was smoother and faster.
I took it for a test and only half way up the street it was popping and crackling on acceleration.

Yeah it's going to need a tune. You can try adding a little more but it really needs a tune.

Inj.Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it's going to need a tune. You can try adding a little more but it really needs a tune.
Ok cool well ill try another few degrees, how many can they take before your playing with fire?
And now to find a tuner near me, only just moved here from North WA so I got no clue.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
At idle and low RPM it should be fine but I wouldn't be getting up it as the fuelling will be off at higher revs.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Can anybody suggest a tuning shop North Brisbane near Bribie Island/Caboolture?
Give Barry a ring on 32669333. He does Kalmaker tunes. He did the tune on my vh (injected 355). Perhaps he might be a bit far for you but might be an option. He does the tune at other peoples tuning shops.

Inj.Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
Give Barry a ring on 32669333. He does Kalmaker tunes. He did the tune on my vh (injected 355). Perhaps he might be a bit far for you but might be an option. He does the tune at other peoples tuning shops.
Ill give him a call thanks, do you know where about he is situated?

Inj.Director

Reaction score
Members Ride
At idle and low RPM it should be fine but I wouldn't be getting up it as the fuelling will be off at higher revs.
Good work bud!! its drivable at least now.
So I went to set the base idle after my zap up the road and back, literally 1km and the timing light couldn't read a signal to flash.
I put in a new set and timimg light was a good thing again, I set the base idle to 16deg and apart from a slightly higher idle it drives fine with no miss or surging.
So good enough now to send into the tuners.
Thanks for the advise and I will keep you guys posted.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Ill give him a call thanks, do you know where about he is situated?
He operates a business in Cleveland or he did last time I went to his place. However the tuning side is a sideline. However don't let that put you off as he is very good.

The last time I used him was about 3 years ago but as I said previously that was from someone elses tuning shop.