Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with price for selling VT

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Hey guys, I'm planning on selling my vt and getting a ve. Just hoping you guys could give me an idea on how much i should ask for it.

Its

1998 vt debadged s series 1 auto, 275,000 kms. Everything is in great condition.

mods include:

stereo
alpine head unit, infinity 6 1/2 splits, infinity 6x9's, kenwood 4 channel amp, kicker mono block amp and polk audio 12" sub.

lowered on kings lows in the fron and super lows in the rear with kyb shortened shox and a camber kit in the rear.
has midnight express tint from tint a car, black altezza head lights, monaro tail lights, 18" xhp wheels, hayman reese towbar, clear side indicators, vx rear garnish and chrome grille.

I was thinking of listing it for $6000 and aiming to get around $5,500 for it. Are my hopes to high or do you think thats fair?

Cheers guys.

DaZ

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 339
  • Untitled4.jpg
    Untitled4.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Untitled5.jpg
    Untitled5.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 363

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Mods don't add price for some buyers, so if you're willing to wait for the right buyer you may get what you want. Others will see the car as worth $2500-$3000 as they can buy a stock one for that.
Be patient, and don't trade it in! Lol
We got $1500 trade in on our vx lumina series 2, 18's, Monaro style headlamps, DVD head unit, tint, exhaust, lots of new stuff, 160,000km. And that was traded on a ve...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
That's the trouble. Car yards will only give you trade in/market price no matter what you have done to it.
As SJM38S says. Wait for the right buyer and don't trade it unless you are desparate.
Put it in the For Sale section on this Forum and see if you get any nibbles.

Sizzle87

ARGH!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais SC II
The audio system doesn't add inches to your dick, no offence intended. Just because you spend 10 grand on the car don't mean it adds 10 grand value. It's done over 250,000 k's, has a few suspension mods and a bit of cosmetic work. It still shouldn't be worth any more than 2.5 - 4k at max. Look at car sales for cars with similar year and k's and you'll see what I mean.

I overpaid for a 99 VT series 2 Calais ($6.5k, 150,000 k's on the clock with 6 months rego) but it was the best one I could find, and could afford (and I was in dire need for a set of wheels). I don't regret the purchase, what I regret is not doing enough research, as for that price I could of got an 8 instead of a super 6.

What increases value of a car is:
- Service history (log books from licenced mechanics)
- Tires
- Rego
- Genuine parts and receipts (even though as of late, I've noticed that after-markets are better suited to more applications, and have a longer lifespan i.e. Nolathane bushes)
- A wash (which I have noticed, you've done an excellent job on that sir)
- Working aircon
- Starts and goes, first go without any weird noises

All in all though, you do seem to have a good looking car for sale, and I expect you still might be able to get somebody to pay your price if you hold out long enough. Good luck with the sale.

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm not looking to trade in because I'm hoping to get more for it than $1500-$2000, which was what they were offering.

In regards to your points sizzler,
It still has full log book history, receipts for everything I have done to it, just paid for 6 months rego, tyres have around 80% tread left, all electrics including air con work fine and is cold and it starts and runs great. It even has the original fuel cap! Which is rare haha.
So yea, do u think I could possibly get $5,500 selling private?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
If It's in good nick and you're selling with Rego and Roadworthy Cert (depending on state) I don't think $4k is out of the question, maybe just over.

I was looking at prices for VY's the other day, and there's a few around for under $6k so I don't think that's a realistic asking price for a VT.

But if you're in no hurry for the cash then by all means advertise it for 6k for a few weeks. If no-one bites that's your best indication that you're asking too much

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Nice car, not worth anywhere near that though if you ask me. All most ppl will see is series 1 with lots of k's and look no further, it's harsh but I think realistic. VT's are a dime a dozen.

Take the stereo out, replace with stocko as well. Stereo's add nothing to value, that looks like a CDA-117E as well so that's a $500 HU you should just hang onto unless you are getting one of those iQ things.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
in all honesty if you where asking any more than 2.5K I wouldn't even look at the ad.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sorry, but 2 and a 1/2 to 3 will get it sold IMHO. Nice looking vehicle though.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Put yourself in a buyers perspective and it's hard to see even the best kept VT I with 275k on the clock being a good investment. It's getting to the age where big stuff 'may' break. Agreed that mods mean little unless they're big ticket items and the right buyer comes along, i.e. super/turbocharged.

Given you can grab a VX II Exec with 150-180k for $4-$5k, for me your unit isn't worth much over $3k, even then you're stretching. If I sold my car tomorrow, I wouldn't expect more than $3.5k and no offence, it's a much better car than yours based on kms alone.

Last edited: