Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with wheel offsets

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
hey guys. Just about to buy some new kicks for my ute and was hopeing someone could help me with offsets.
Love the aggressive concave look with slightly stretched tyres so was hoping to get 10" all round running a 245 so the front doesn't scrap. I have coilovers going in so have adjustment in height and the wheels come blank so can set and offset really.
Was thinking 20 x 10 + 35 all round should work? Running a 245 front and rear? Does this sound about right for a flush/ aggressiveish look?

Thanks a bunch

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Hey mate, I am in the same boat and very curious as to peoples recommendations - I just picked up some H&R Coilovers and would like some BBS CH-R rims.

This dude on carsales has the look we are both looking for at the moment I believe, not sure if of his tyre dimensions. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/...tssaleid=SSE-AD-4355547&rankingType=Spotlight

At present I am running 245/35/R20 and I believe the rim is 8.5 PCD 45, which I think means the speed sensor does not need to be re-calibrated?

I think its better NOT to use a wheel spacer in our case as it would effect the spring rate of our suspension ( reduce ) / put more load on other suspension components.

Not 100% sure thought still researching.

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
Plus spacers are illegal haha
Having blanks makes it a bit easy but as the guy said to me if I plan on having a custom offset then there is no returns if they sit wrong. If they poke to much they can happily shave them down but only upto 2mm. If I go in to much the wheels are fucked sadly so need it spot on.

That is exactly the stance I want like that car!!

I'm going the bsc v30's I think.
Got a wicked price for 10"s all around and tyres. Just need to give him the offsets and we are good to go!!
If you find out anything more let me know please

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Send the seller an enquiry via the car sales ad and ask him. The worst he can do is tell you to p!ss off.

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
Well I just ended up ordering 20x10 +35 all round either way so fingers crossed. Was told that a 245 is too small for a 10" and that a 255 is minimum they would cover with warranty and that a 245 could bead itself? Anyone had issues with that? I thought a 245 was fairly common with the stretched look

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
If you put an unapproved tyre size on your wheel your car is instantly unroadworthy and no reputable tyre dealer will fit them.

245 35 20 are way too narrow for a 10 inch rim and are NOT an approved fitment on a 20 x 10 wheel.. The 255 35 20 is what you need as a minimum width and most manufacturers selling that size approve that tyre on a 20 x 10 inch wheel. Even the 255 is a slight stretch on a 10 inch wide wheel but I had some fitted once and they were fine and looked OK.

REAR
With a 35 offset 10 inch wheel you are going to be quite marginal for guard clearance on the rear even with the 255 tyre especially if you are lowering the vehicle. You may find the tyres rub slightly on the rear guard lips with sufficient suspension movement and if so you will need to roll the rear guards .

FRONT
I suggest you test fit the front wheel before you fit tyres to check if the outer edge of the wheel rim extends beyond the furthest outer edge of the front guards because you will find this is very marginal with a 10 inch and 35 offset. If the wheel face does extend out beyond the front guard furthest outer edge it is an illegal fitment and your car will be technically unroadworthy.

I would have picked a 40 offset wheel with 255 35 20 tyres all around if using 20 x 10 on all corners(or 40 offset front and 45 rear for better rear guard clearance.)

Liam85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF ssv ute manual
Thanks for the info Sean
Just been told the wheels are out of stock in the blanks till feb next year so I have time to adjust the offset if I like. I'm going to use the will they fit calculator and work it all out.
I have seen a few examples of a +35 all round and they lookspot on in my eyes. Plus I would rather have them poke to much so I can get them adjusted and milled down rather then have them at +45 and realise that it's too far in and not the fitment I'm after.
And completely agree with tyres. Exactly what they said. They would fit a 245 but would not cover them where as a 255 they will be able to cover the rim and the tyres that way so will play it safe. Only reason I wouldn't go a smaller offset on the front is with the 10" and a 255 they say it can rub on the inside.

Thanks again though

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you understand how offsets work and I’m guessing you do then measuring up your car to check fitment right down to the millimetre is pretty easy with a little forethought, a few basic tools and a half hour or so to spare.

Given that you already have the rim specs all you need is a tape measure, a straight edge, a spirit level, pen and paper and they will combine to show you exactly where the rims will be placed in relation to the inner and outer guards plus you can also check calliper clearances if you also know the concave of the centre and base plate thickness.

It’s very important to measure up the car with it sitting at the ride height you intend to use for the rim & tyre combo if you want real accuracy and to show how the tyre will travel up into the wheel wells under load otherwise use the tools to also try and envisage the vehicle in its lowered state.

You can also easily figure out within reasonable accuracy how the stretched tyre will come into play if you have all the tyre specs.

Another thing to remember is when you lower the car you will change the suspension geometry and a good shop will loosen off and reset all the effected components and adjust the camber to suit your needs.

I’m not a fan of the excessive overhand of the rims in the link you provided as I personally prefer flush to the guard but each to their own and if you are prepared to accept it will be a real in your face combo for the Cops then go for it, that’s what cars are about, what you like and not what others think.

cp5381647238837999669.jpg

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Can anybody confirm the name of following rim and if the rim dimensions are correct please?

I think its from the VE Calais Series 2

8Jx20
ET38
5x120

Source for dimensions : http://www.wheel-size.com/size/holden/commodore/2013/

It's a Supersport.

It was a 20 inch option for the VE when it was first released in 2006.

I had them optioned on my Calais V back in 2007 and for memory I thought the 20x8 rims had a factory offset of +48 but it was long ago and I could be wrong.

I didn’t like them as I felt the offset was too conservative for the large VE wheel wells.

You can see what I mean in this photo of my car, the rear in particular sits too far inside the guard.

Last edited: