Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID conversion in Vx

scrano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina LS1
I spoke with a guy from Inivision on the phone today, which are the company that imports all of Philips automotive lights into Australia, and we had a long conversation about what's legal and illegal as far as headlight's and bulbs are concerned, and he was a very common sense great guy, that didn't talk any bullshit, and one the things we spoke about was HID headlights, and retrofitting a car like my VX Berlina with them, and he basically told me that whilst you could use one of the many retrofitting kits that are around too put HID lights into you're car, that there are several issues, the first one being compliance, and that would mean that along with just doing the conversion, and fitting the ballasts and all of the basic bare necessities that you need too do, that in order too be fully compliant, that you would need a self leveling, and headlight wiper kit, as they have too do in Europe and the US when retrofitting them too any car. He also said that you'd really need a projection style of lamp, in order make sure that you were getting the full effectiveness of the globes, and that light scatter was a big issue with them. We spoke for a long time about the many issues relating too globes in general, and HID conversion/retrofitting, and all of the problems that you can run into, and keep in mind, that this guy was a very level headed guy, who knows many people that have retrofitted them, but at the end of day after talking with him for a long time, and even him acknowledging that because many of the newer factory cars come fitted with them as standard, that the police aren't anywhere near as harsh as they were, say 5 or 6 years ago. In strictly a matter of whether they're compliant or not, then unless you do all of the other stuff that's required, then they're not compliant, so you do it at your own peril.

I just thought it was interesting that I was basically talking with the guy that handles Philips automotive lighting distribution here in Australia today, and that we had a very long conversation that amongst other things, included all of the pro's and con's HID retrofitting, and I thought I could let you know what his thoughts on the matter were

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sorry to hijac the thread....this will probably get some haters but how hard would it be to convert just the high beam ( H1 ) on a vt to 6000k hid's??? is there much involved in installing the ballasts etc???

I dont want them on low just for when im driving all the way home at night ( live in country) just want some brighter whiter light.

I have some white/bluey halogens at the moment and they are good but would just like something a bit brighter on the high beams. Is it possible/ easy?? or will it be illegal also due to the gas and fogging lenses etc.

Cheers

H1 single HID's are dead easy to fit, just plug and play. I do them for $85 a kit plus $10 postage.

To all those that go on about HID's being illegal and not complying, while this is true, you would be hard pressed to get pulled over for having HID's. As long as they are the new shielded type that don't throw the light all over the place, they will be fine.

How many of you drive a car that is 100% ADR compliant? I'm not talking roadworthy, but actually complying to every ADR that applies to your car?

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i have h4-3 8000k hi/lo hids in the head lights, 8000k hid h1 high beam, and h3 hid 8000k for the fog lights in my vt and not once has any copper said anything on the number of times ive been pulled over.... i also travel from home in nsw (central west) to south eastern suburbs of melbourne quite often and not once has there been flashes or hassels...

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
How about don't be a tool and get some nice Phillips + 100's?

Hmm, im interested in the Phillips +100 Extremes for my vx sII exec. What bulbs do i need? I have no idea :/ i wana change my headlights and foggies to a white light, im guessing the Phillips is that? Cheers.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Buy a pair of H4 Hi/Low beam and H1 Hi beam in Phillips +100 Extreme and you wont go wrong. Don't be tempted by Phillips Crystal and Diamond Vision, they are less effective and not legal. The +100 Extremes are totally legal and the most effective light on the market for a non-projector headlight.

Hi/Low beams are Phillips +100 Extremes. White enough? The high beams are 10000K HID, since been replaced with Phillips as well.

attachment.php

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Buy a pair of H4 Hi/Low beam and H1 Hi beam in Phillips +100 Extreme and you wont go wrong. Don't be tempted by Phillips Crystal and Diamond Vision, they are less effective and not legal. The +100 Extremes are totally legal and the most effective light on the market for a non-projector headlight.

Hi/Low beams are Phillips +100 Extremes. White enough? The high beams are 10000K HID, since been replaced with Phillips as well.

attachment.php

Yeah that looks sick!! So i need 2 sets? Cheers. Also? Can i replace my foglights with a globe to make em white? I installed a ss kit so i have foggies :D

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
They are genuine ss foglights too if that makes a difference compared to aftermarket..

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
I converted mine a whole back.. Getting some aftermarket headlights with projector lenses is the way to go, otherwise your just blinding everyone else..

If you are thinking about a conversion get your lenses before your globes. I got a kit, then changed the lenses, different glove styles. The old ones were H4s new ones are twin h1's

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
They are genuine ss foglights too if that makes a difference compared to aftermarket..

Sorry don't know why I didn't see the last replies. I don't know what kind of lights they use in the SS foggies, but I am going to assume they aren't projectors given that its a VX. Pretty sure they would also take the H1 +100 globes in that case, but the obvious answer is to take one out and have a look :).