Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Higher octane fuels - your own comments.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
It was the STD and PULP, I'm not sure of the 98.

I'm certainly no chemist but some time back after the boat copped a full batch of dirty/wet fuel which "was a big deal when I was left with 800 lit of $ exe PULP that could not be used in much more than a mower" the CQ fuel company guru was required on site to examine the source at the servo and all their gear, and my remaining fuel, the tanks, outside contamination risks etc etc, and for refund.

While it was not discussed in full I understand his mention of it to say in basic terms that the engine will be sucking a fuel mix that has not fully blended together making for irregular running, that may be the simplest way to describe it as I understand it.

And yes I asked the obvious as to why they don't tell ya that at the servo and the only thing he would say was all engines would still work, just not at their optimum, something along the line your not told unless you ask.

A fuel Co may give a better explanation, I simply deferred to the bloke that obviously wore a white lab coat at work and knew more about it than I and had no reason to give false info, there must be a reason.

Found this from an overseas forum; I've experienced the same problem before but I now only use the 98 RON Optimax. Different petrols from different oil refiners have their own unique formulation. My engine suffers a "hiccup" when they are mixed, even if they are all 98 RON. I haven't experienced any problems now when I used the Optimax. As much as possible I also fill up only from one station, the busiest one with fresh stock

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All fuel companies most certainly are not adding ethanol to their fuel.

BP's fuel will be added to their 91 Regular Unleaded and part of it will come from animal fat as well I think.

If I've ever heard of a stupid idea then that is it. Animal fat in petrol not only great for the cows but I've seen what animal fat does to fish and chip shop walls and human insides and I don't think you want it in your engine :p

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
If I've ever heard of a stupid idea then that is it. Animal fat in petrol not only great for the cows but I've seen what animal fat does to fish and chip shop walls and human insides and I don't think you want it in your engine :p

Yeah but they'll be making money from it through government funding etc. and thats all the oil companies care about... Money.

Shop at Mobil ;) We're drivers too :wax:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
It is the same as when you give 10 people a tablet and 10 a placebo. A large % of those that got the placebo will report any result that you suggest should happen because that is what they are looking for (even though those results are not actually there).

Reaper.

I kind of agree with you here, however, i have had track days in the VT where i'd use Shell V-Power, would run out in less time over the BP Ultimate on a similar temp day etc. Also, if i used lower octane fuels or V-Power my car would ping like a ddos attack on a server :p

So to be safe i stick with BP Ultimate, or if none around Mobil Synergy 8000 as its an Ultimate/Mobil Blend.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
haven an old vh means im sposed to use at least 95 with some upper cylinder lube, however i use 98 (bp or caltex) the timing is sposed to be 6 degrees advanced but i've had to retard it down to about 3 to stop it pinging with 98.

when i use 95 it pings where 98 doesnt and also with only about 100hp on a good day i can notice a slight performace increase and slightly better fuel ecconomy. shell optimax/v-power made it run rougher and had poor fuel ecconomy even after a few tankfulls so i stick with vortex and ultimate.

also a bit off topic but i thought petrol was sposed to be pink...ultimate is a yellow colour...please correct me if im wrong...

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
I had not that long ago asked here if anyone as using the new BP ULTIMATE and what was their thoughts about it, and that post had gone due to the site being down..

I haven't tried any other PULP before but this IS good in my VL and I don't have any fuel figures yet but I've never had 200km for a half a tank before (it wasn't instant) about a month and all around town driving..:thumbsup:

Next long run I do should be fantastic:yeah:

mag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 1 Acclaim 2003
Many people only focus on the "power" figure for the fuel. the likes of premium keeps engines cleaner. i don't get the crap build up that i was getting on regular. i think thats worth the few cents.

As stated by BP the New improved BP Ultimate Unleaded now has 5 times the cleaning power of ordinary fuels to make your engine run more smoothly and efficiently.

Your'e spot on their vlv8vic:D

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
mang sorry to bump an anciant thread/post, just want to ask whats peoples thoughts on 7/11 fuel or united / liberty fuel? considering there privately owned. but 7 11 is using mobile fuel do u agree they are any good or not really bother?

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Liberty from what I heard are ok. Some other chains I have heard some not so good things about and wouldn't recommend.