Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

History question - VB Commodore Engine Choice

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi All,

Got a bit of a history question, I was reading the book "Heart of the Lion" the other day and was reading about the original introduction of the Commodore. As we know they stuck with essentially the same engine as the Kingswood had but there was mention of an Opel Senator engine that was meant to be much more advanced, I think it was fuel injected. Does anyone know if this engine was considered for the original Commodore, and if it was, why it wasn't chosen.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

The simple reason was that the Red 6 was built here and was freely available. Therefore the used as much as possible from existing equipment.

This was also the reason for the "Backfire 4" - a cut down red 6.

The Opel engine was more sophisticated and expensive, whereas the existing motor was already available, cheep and made here.

When anyone asks "why didn't they?" the answer is usually cost.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
"Cost" is correct for the most part. Holden invested a huge amount developing the VB (around $110 million, IIRC) which was a very substantial amount at that time and money had to be saved wherever possible. Also, it wasn't clear whether the VB would replace the Torana, the HZ, or both, and production of both continued, with the HZ lasting for another two years after the VB was introduced. Engineering the Commodore for Australian conditions led to extensive re-engineering of the front end and it made economic sense to design the car to take the existing Holden engines, remembering that the car was also intended to be available with V8's as well as the sixes.

In addition, adopting the Opel engine would have meant more complex parts storage and invoicing for a completely new engine, while the existing engines continued in production.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I could be wrong, but wasn't the VN slated for the Nissan engine except some deal fell through?

The exchange rate between the Aussie dollar and the yen became too unfavourable and the Nissan engine was too expensive to continue with. Those were the days when we were heading for Keating's banana republic and the dollar was down to around 0.55c US.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I was half right lol

About the only real advantage of being my age is that all these questions about early Holdens and Commie genesis are bread and butter to someone who was there at the time and was a Holden nut who soaked up every bit of info he could get his hands on. And, if in doubt about my recollection, I just consult my library.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I could be wrong, but wasn't the VN slated for the Nissan engine except some deal fell through?

this is true, they even tested a VN with a Nissan engine (a larger capacity version of the RB30 was being developed), but for reasons as Calaber stated and Nissan wasn't going to have the engine ready in time for the planned release of the VN, Holden abandoned the idea
it's all in the 'project VN' book

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I remember reading an article years ago about Holden testing the Mitsubishi 2.6 ltr 4. IIRC it was in a 1st gen but they couldn't get it right.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi All,

Got a bit of a history question, I was reading the book "Heart of the Lion" the other day and was reading about the original introduction of the Commodore. As we know they stuck with essentially the same engine as the Kingswood had but there was mention of an Opel Senator engine that was meant to be much more advanced, I think it was fuel injected. Does anyone know if this engine was considered for the original Commodore, and if it was, why it wasn't chosen.

I've never heard that one before. Would be surprised as they were flat out getting the platform to hold together for Australian roads. Haven't ever heard of anything but the carry over drive trains being proposed which very much makes sense as new platform is huge to get the bugs out of let alone mating that to new mechanicals as well at the same time.