Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden and HSV Gen IV Engine Number Prefixes

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Thanks rucxy, I haven't looked at this list in ages, better pull my finger out and see if there are any updates!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
MY 12.5 VE SSV Z L77 M6. Engine No. = BW6121860656

Given 2012 was a leap year, I gather my engine was born on the 4th of July and the 656th built.

Car is September 2012 compliance so seems about right.

In terms of 656th built, does this mean the 656th L77 ?

Last edited:

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Now found a third auction website that gives engine numbers, although only three Commodores on there right now one of them adds yet another new prefix to the mess that is the VE Commodore.

A MY10 VE Series I SS auto sedan with a "WBH10051****" prefix (added to the list)

Also found a MY10 WM Caprice with a "BBC11005****" number, which got me thinking... historically Holden have always made Statesman (and later Caprice) engine numbers distinct from other models, adding an "11" or "12" in the early years or an "S" or "C" prefix in VQ onward, do they still do that I wonder?
The reason why the 11 or 12 at the start of the prefix was that they were not Holden's they, the Statesman name were owned by another company under GM and then in the WB series the name Caprice must of been owned by another under GM and that's why she got the 12 at the start of the prefix.
Statesman by Holden I think it goes, not Holden Statesman.

There are Chevrolet Statesman in the Holden HQ and HJ series that were exported to South Africa back in the day.

Commodore Statesman's are a Holden Statesman.

Holden has put a X in front of the ADR27A 6 cyl Torana's and a N for the Nasco replacement engines.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
While that may be true for something manufactured in the '70s and '80s, it has nothing whatsoever to do with anything newer.

By the time the VQ Statesman came along they were distinguishing Caprice engines with a "C" prefix instead of "11" or "12", although I've never understood why Statesman engines even need distinguishing from the rest of the flock, but that's a story for another day.

From the introduction of the LS engines, at least as far as I've seen collecting thousands of samples, there is no longer any special distinction for Statesman/Caprice engines, the numbers are just lumped-in with the rest.

The "11" you're referring to in the quote represents the year 2011, as explained in the first post in this thread.

Andrew

The Lone Gunman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Group 3
My 07/08/2006 built VZ SS Crewman Ute 6.0l 4 spd automatic 6MB06032****
& mates 01/05/2006 built VZ SS Sedan 6.0 4 spd automatic 6MB05339****

crossy1962

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE + a few VT’s S1’s & S2’s
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I have a VT SS series 2 and the LS1 engine number starts with NS
The NS and following numbers are not done in the way the factory dot style of stamping I have seen is done but in the old style, that is they appear to be stamped in with a set of stamps and a hammer .
Can anybody shed any light on this, the car was registered when I purchased it ( Tassie rego) and I did a revs search before buying it and that’s the number that came up for the car so it’s a legit number.
Replacement motor ?
Stolen recovered?
Barney Gumbal built it out of parts lol ?
As already stated anyone who could have any information that could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
Geez I've been really slack on the research-side of this thread lately, there should be a whole heap of fresh data around the auction sites by now too.

Anyway, as far as I know all Aussie-fitted LS1's had a "VF" prefix from the factory, but without knowing the rest of the format I can't tell whether it's a GM number or not?

American cars usually had part of the car's VIN encoded into the engine number. And 'crate engines' had a different numbering system again.

But I wonder if yours might have a 'police number' on it?

Andrew

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
LS3... DGF170160265
VF2 SS ute MY17

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks burnz, "DGF" is already on the list (the very last entry).

Your particular engine was assembled on Monday the 16th of January 2017 (Martin Luther King Day - must not be a holiday?)

Andrew

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi Bigfella, my Gen4 engine no details just for reference
Series 1 SSVR 6.0, production date 16/2/15 - eng no. DGA143280890

Series 2 SSVR 6.2, production date 18/10/16 - eng no. DGF162151171

Cheers