Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden proposing to race 'real' cars again

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't think the idea of base model cars only is any good. I would say that the majority of people would prefer to see an ss/xr8 or even gt/clubby get around a track rather than a poverty pack omega or xt.

But if you have seen what happened to the old class's and the race specials, only base models can work

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
I see what you mean with that but id just say that people would want to see the sport models getting around not the base models

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
problem with it is the utes are starting to go that way too

control tyre, control suspension. The SS is de-tuned so its 6 litres isnt too tough for the 5.4 of the XR8, aftermarket exhaust. When they first started you beauty - chuck a roll cage into a ute and run some ducting to the front brakes via the hole left by the fog lights.

BTW there is a series out there that run 6 bangers we were watching it on TV late one night, they were at Bathurst (I think the Bathurst Motor Festival) there were VT S packs, AU XR6 and a few VN 6 bangers all going for it :D Now THAT was interesting

FYI

Holden Motorsport Manager, Simon McNamara, has forewarned that the manufacturer will pull out of the category if the next generation of V8 Supercars is too far removed from the road-going models.

At the Skycity Triple Crown in Darwin last weekend, V8 Supercars Australia Executive Chairman, Tony Cochrane, announced that former driver Mark Skaife will chair a Car of the Future committee.

Cochrane said the only terms of reference for the committee is that the next generation of Supercars must have a V8 engine and that the whole car costs less than $250,000.

McNamara said if the committee decided on a silhouette car, like what is used in Nascar, Holden would not be a participant.

“If they get to the point where it’s a silhouette program for example, forget it, we won’t be doing it,” he warned after Cochrane made the announcement.

“Under no circumstances will we race in that format because it’s not our car.

“These cars,” McNamara said gesturing to the Kelly Racing cars in the pit garages at Darwin, “are purpose-built race cars, but they represent a Commodore and a Falcon; they look the same; they’ve got the swinging doors and bonnets and headlights and that sort of stuff that works.

“A significant percentage of the fan base still think of them as SS and XR8 done up which is great, plus with E85 and some other stuff we are getting significant learnings out of it.”

McNamara described V8 Supercars as a proving ground for Holden’s road-going cars.

“If it turns out that it’s not a proving ground anymore then you can’t justify doing it, especially in the current (economic) climate,” he said.

The manufacturer’s position was not totally selfish, McNamara said, because it also wanted to ensure that its teams remained viable when the next generation of Supercar is introduced.

“If it stacks up and the cars are still representative of what we want them to be then that’s great; no problem.

“But if it gets to the point where the cars are tubular space frame chassis with fibreglass bodies and stick-on headlights, Holden won’t be racing that. Simple!”

Holden is open to other manufacturers entering the sport, but McNamara said the company would appreciate being part of discussions on the future of V8 Supercars.

“My MD (Mark Reuss) is keen on other manufacturers coming in because he just wants to beat everybody and that’s fair enough.

“It’s open for anybody if they want to come in, but it needs to be applicable for what they sell.

“And everyone seems to forget about the fact that Holden and Ford have been in it for a very long time and spent a lot of money on it.”

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/content/hero_news/june_2009/holden_wants_nothing_of_silhouette/

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
i like the idea of this

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I say good on 'em...as it is the Supertaxis are already boring enough, without it becoming even more like NASCAR.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Remember watching the DJ Shell Sierra turbos, the nissan skyline sillhouttes, the skyline gtr turbo's, jim richards Benson & Hedges BMW, Brocky in a Volvo, Bertalucci in an Alfa, and Big names coming from overseas to race ?

Bring that back.

Several classes, based on capacity and modification, competing for outright and class vistories. That was entertaining racing.

S.O.S

White chicks on hey hey!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I loved watching the 6's of falcon and commodore EA VN go at it years ago. And i do miss the variety of the car makers.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
The thing that is disappointing in the current series is the stupid politics of it..... the Ford guys seemed to have the most pull when it came to whining about the dominance of the Holdens... the Holdens were penalised because Ford threatened to pull out. All the good engineers went to Ford..... hence the current dominance of the Fords. Although, they all use the same suspension components, fuel system, cranks...... cooling systems, the list is endless!! although i do believe they use their own heads.... and the Fords currently have a bit more grunt than the Holdens.
If they went back to the Group C days.... now that was racing!! :thumbsup:

The only issue with production based series.... you go back to the bad days of Holden winning and the Fords guys complaining about it.

VYFORI

VEFORME
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan
GDAY EVERYONE...

Look with the current state of V8 racing my understanding is that the Officals want it more driver related as in the cars are of the same perforamce and it just comes down to invidividual drivers skills that eventually win the race which is good in away for spectators

But outside the box of racing and down at your local Holden and Ford dealershep "WE" customers buy Holden or Ford because car perforance and rivalry which was a must when watching Production Racing thats why we buy Holdens and Fords
plus they are both very good Australian made condition cars which were very affordable and reliable cars cheap to run
Having said that times have changed Fuel Consumption 4cyl, cars.. $$$$

What im trying to say is..... Thats why you wont see productions cars racing again...
More of driver skills than car perforance in V8 racing....
Customer demand is not for V8 or V6 at your local Holden or Ford dealership anymore....

why not try 4cly racing LOL OMG........ in Astras or even in a CRUIZE OMG.....

RIK...