Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can I tell if I have a VF Series 2?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Original question was answered within 15 minutes of the original post ... the remaining 6 day's worth of discussion has been just that - ongoing discussion!

LS3 with even more valve lift than the modified L77, a blower, and a JATO unit attached eats an L77 ... dunno how that's relevant though.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Fascinating it's that close but I guess that's with the same ute gears, stock tune.

Different final drives...
2.92 in the Redline
3.27 in the Maloo

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Cant believe someone here is claiming the L77 is better than the LS3! Clearly that is of a L77 owner that has fits of jealous rage!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Different final drives...
2.92 in the Redline
3.27 in the Maloo
Well that just doesn't make sense that at lower revs utilising AFM you get less consumption from a bigger engine with lower gears. Your Holden needs attention to realise better economy, like the rest of us realise, like the official figures state.
Cant believe someone here is claiming the L77 is better than the LS3! Clearly that is of a L77 owner that has fits of jealous rage!
Yes jealous coz LS3 is a cool name (not Australian though) and comes with a good cam and legal, but that's not what frenzied VFII wood ducks carry on about. So happens it's not that hard to raise stock AFM cam lift and time / area duration to exactly the same spec, same output. The difference being that L77 has the option to actually be a sleeper and save fuel.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's the age-old comparison between apples & orangutans, problem is you look the other way for an instant and the former is gone & the latter looks somewhat more content.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The difference being that L77 has the option to actually be a sleeper and save fuel.

I don't actually own a V8 for the fuel savings, its more for performance.... But I am amazed how thrifty they can be.

Maybe the L77 in the Redline could be improved, but I'm sure the best upgrade would be to replace the Redline with a VF2 version.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I don't actually own a V8 for the fuel savings, its more for performance.... But I am amazed how thrifty they can be.

Maybe the L77 in the Redline could be improved, but I'm sure the best upgrade would be to replace the Redline with a VF2 version.
Yes people end up with this car for a whole range of reasons, mine is mega performance and efficiency over mega miles. No garage time, DIY tune, no dyno charts, hose down but no waxing / polishing, no dealer servicing, no branded bolt-ons.
I totally agree VFII is brilliant, an excellent evolution that should have happened five years ago.
In accord with that I'd like to believe the 0.2 l difference guarantees greater performance stock or even more potential when tuned. But after searching for a couple of years now can't find one iota of difference to the outgoing, all things being equal like tune, gears, bolt-ons.
I've seen real world dynos 220-240 rwkw calibrated and credible both engines out of the box. The practical difference is actually less than dyno error, there's quite a bit of placebo effect going on is all.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Haha, how does whinging about whinging about engine designations being poofteenth better than each other bother you so? Or contribute to the noble quest of the thread?
You seem fed up just with the slightest bit of relevant debate as to whether one Commodore engine has merits over another - the core difference (a fact held fait au compli by most members new or otherwise) as OP has queried.
OP was asking a question answered in the handbook or VIN lookup or under the bonnet. Taken at face-value it seems you are a grumpy stick-in-the-mud by the jaded, ignorant and interruptive berating nature and context of your response. Surely you have earnt a fraction of ridicule? Last wank of 2016!

Wow! That must have stretched your vocabulary. Did the dictionary give you indigestion? And you and others HAVE totally derailed this thread which was my original point.(First whinge of 2017)

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Yes jealous coz LS3 is a cool name (not Australian though) and comes with a good cam and legal, but that's not what frenzied VFII wood ducks carry on about. So happens it's not that hard to raise stock AFM cam lift and time / area duration to exactly the same spec, same output. The difference being that L77 has the option to actually be a sleeper and save fuel.

Well you sold me. Now to find some sucker with the L77 to swap with.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
And you and others HAVE totally derailed this thread which was my original point.
... but a bit irrelevant, because original question was answered within 15 minutes, and the thread was open to anything after that.

Brabham I have one of those amazing engines, if you pay for the conversion I'll do you the favour of taking that underwhelming LS3 off your hands.
Believe me, there's nothing more exciting than wondering if the AFM gear's gonna assplode with every drive; adds thrill to every trip!