Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how do i BEND alloy sports bars back into thier original position?

joshyewahh

Lumpy VY-II SS! 335rwkw!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY-II SS 6spM
hey there. unfortunately i bought some chrome alloy sports bars off ebay from a seller who didn't tell me that they were damaged when i bought them. so to my suprise, when they arrived, i noticed right away that they were bent.

where one of the bars comes down, its 100mm off being bolted on, and the other bar (the one comming off the one piece bar) is 250mm off being bolted on.

im REALLY annoyed at this! dad and i tryed bending them back into shape using a 12tone jack and a metal pipe to pry (think thats how you spell it) it out/open and back into the right spot. BUT, the previous owner has done a doozy of a job and bent it real good! it wont bend out using that method.

so my next method i shall be trying in a day or so, is using a 300degree heatgun on the bent area, and slowly bending the bar into its original position. hopefully this works. if not, can anyone else think of something?

help please :(

NonStick Squid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS Ute m6, VS Calais
that will more than likely work however you'll probs end up bubblin the chrome

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
are you sure its chrome? i didnt think chroming alloy was done normally theyre just polished

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah heat and bend no more than 180degrees though anymore and you'll ruin the alloy

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
May I suggest wrapping it round the head of the guy who sold em to you? Should bend em back into shape real good :D

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will never go back into the original shape. Alloy doesn't like being bent twice, even heating will not make it go back into it's original shape.