Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do i Change The Coolant

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
If your removing the knock sensors to drain coolant theres no point. Its next to impossible to remove without a hoist and isnt worth it for the extra litre you get out if that. You would be better to spray compressed air down and try and blow the rest of it out, alot easier.

You get more like 6 litres out. Ever wondered why when you drop the bottom hose and fill up, only 5 litres goes back in ? Its a 12 litre system, there is heaps left in, flushing with a hose dilutes it to near pure. Knock sensors are behind the sump, the part where the sump bulges out.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
You get more like 6 litres out. Ever wondered why when you drop the bottom hose and fill up, only 5 litres goes back in ? Its a 12 litre system, there is heaps left in, flushing with a hose dilutes it to near pure. Knock sensors are behind the sump, the part where the sump bulges out.

I've always got 9.5-10 Litres back in, or about 10.5-11 blowing with the compressor.
I never bothered to remove the Knock sensors as the holden mechanic down here told me theres no point, and they dont even do it.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I've always got 9.5-10 Litres back in, or about 10.5-11 blowing with the compressor.
I never bothered to remove the Knock sensors as the holden mechanic down here told me theres no point, and they dont even do it.

Cools, good advice then. So you just blow it in from the housing ? Holden worksop manuals and gregories show removal of knock sensors to remove all coolant. All the sediment comes with it as well.

M

mrVT

the way i flush my coolant is i take waterpump hose off i then put a garden hose in radiator then start my car running all the water flushes thru the waterpump and cleans radiator and inside engine its the most practical and easiest way to do this method, then take cover off and bleed the screw!

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
easiest way is to remove one of the heater hoses from the block shove the hose down it , (make sure heater is turned on beforehand) aqnd run hose , take your bottom hose off as well then hold your hand over the end of it to flush it back thru the heater pipe end as well , takes 5 minutes

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Cools, good advice then. So you just blow it in from the housing ? Holden worksop manuals and gregories show removal of knock sensors to remove all coolant. All the sediment comes with it as well.

The front heater hose (it could be the back) off the water pump, and just make a seal with one hand and blow down it with the compressor, water will come out the bottom radiator hose. Good point about the knock sensors removing sludge/crap though. I wouold say if it hasnt been done in a while then it wouldnt be a bad thing to remove the knock sensors.

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon

lol manuals lol

dynoryder

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive wagon
i take it your a mech i am mech and i hardly use manuals i try to understand the car in my mind and do stuff as fast as possible which im good at my shop turns over a lot more then any one else in my area my turnover alone (about 1/6 of the shops) is more than k-mart tyre an auto for a month

so i make the same money as a hole shop the guy i work with doubles me but he sells a lot of parts

so i pump out the cars learn stuff and take it all in but i dont ****around reading bullshit half the day

the only time i read manuals is when im stuck and dont know how to do something that raerly happens

p.s im sick today thats why im on here at this time of day

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Edit.. nevermind

Last edited: