Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I get this relay out?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi All, I am trying to remove the relay for the cabin fan and it doesn't want to budge. Is there a trick to removing it?
Does it pull out away from the firewall or lift up? It is one of the relays located under the steering column.
Moderator, Sorry if this is considered a double post but I haven't had a response to my followup question and thought I might do better with a new post.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
No trick as far as I know. I had to replace an engine compartment relay recently and it was pretty stuck after 30 years unmoved.

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
May be corroded., terminals to socket , probably why not working .

Try spraying cleaner while gently levering up and down.

Then see my earlier post on this topic.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi fellers, I appreciate the replies but you didn't answer my questions completely.
Does the relay pull away from the firewall or does it lift up towards the steering column.
AND is there a barb that needs to be released?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Are you talking about C in this image?
b502cdca.jpg

Fairly sure it should just pull straight out.

From memory I've had trouble getting those out too, probably easiest to pull out D first so you can get a decent grip on C or use a tool of some sort.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks guys, for the replies. I did get the relay out. Did a bit of cleaning, applied a small amount of carbon grease. Swapped some relays around and the blower still doesn't work on 4. Checked the blower fuse under the bonnet too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks guys, for the replies. I did get the relay out. Did a bit of cleaning, applied a small amount of carbon grease. Swapped some relays around and the blower still doesn't work on 4. Checked the blower fuse under the bonnet too.
Fusible link FY OK ?

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks Mike. I found a fuse under the bonnet for the blower and it checked ok with the multimeter. I guess I should have a close look at all the connections to the fuses and relays but I didn't see any sign of heat damage or arcing.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
You won't see any sign of heat damage or arcing for most VN/VP electrical faults the days. The most common faults are dry solder joints and corroded contacts- both due to age. For starters I break, clean and remake every connector and earth associated with the heater high speed operation. If that fails to fix the problem then it's a matter of leg work with a multimeter until you find the fault.