Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How hot is your vt????

stevoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
s2 vt ss
yeah as i said not having a thermostat will cause an eventual heat soak (if you didn't catch the meaning Google it) of the radiator which will not effectively cool your coolant and cause it to just keep getting hotter(coolant gets hot to a point before it boils as-well), check your temps as i said and when you get time buy a thermostat from super cheap and gasket then install and bleed from that screw. if you want your car to run cooler then get a thermostat with a lower opening temperature and have the thermos running 24/7 with a bigger radiator.

bundy_boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
When you changed the coolant did you bleed the system of air?

You can think the cooling system is full, but boy it can sure hold alot of air in there, you may even need to do it a few times to make sure it is all out.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
No thermostat is bush mechanics.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
A car with no thermostat is usually a car that has overheated and is looking for a cheap quick fix.

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
not really. the idea of removing the thermostat is so that you don't have to replace it ever again, which cost money and downtime. the thermostat itself is cheap.

but if it really will caused problem, then you better have it on.

btw my vt temp normally sat just below the half mark. but lately i noticed if i get caught in a traffic jam it will go up to just below 3/4. umm... wonder if it's the new engine oil i'm using, 10w-40? i normally used 10w-50 or 15w-50.

edit: i have thermostat and radiator is really old. recent service had the radiator flushed, new coolant and new radiator cap.

Last edited:

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Olympic Ediiion
Mine runs a couple millimeters under half and i only have sydney tap water in it runs fine and really hot days like over 30 degrees with acon on it can go a couple of millimeters over half any more is no good i reckon and btw put a bloody thermostat in from experience its the best advice anyone can give u for wat u are saying

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thermostat is $16.50 from super cheap and $20.50 from repco seal is $2.50 not to expensive compared to wat ppl pay to cool there engine like having a rort mechanic replacing your whole cooling system lol

dope505069

Reaction score
Members Ride
And wat do you mean problems getting the heater hot if the thermostat isnt in my understanding was that it will never work with out it in its impossible correct me if im wrong?

bundy_boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
In my opinion if your temperature dial goes up at all, even for a second, then there is something wrong with your cooling system.

A hot day should not affect it at all, normal operation temp should be 85 to 95 degrees, then when idling it may reach 104 before the fan kicks in and brings it below 100 again. If its going past 105, and the temp gauge is rising, then something is wrong.

If you have air stuck in your system, it will run hotter but not neccesarily overheat, but still hotter than it should