Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How hot is your vt????

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
And wat do you mean problems getting the heater hot if the thermostat isnt in my understanding was that it will never work with out it in its impossible correct me if im wrong?
Well if you are driving for a long time in traffic it will eventually heat up, so it's not impossible. The thermostat makes the engine heat up faster but not having a thermostat will not stop the engine from heating up at all.

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Thanks for all your help

Thankyou everyone for the info
I will fit a thermosat on weekend

But Just A question
What are the chance's of a car overheating first:beer chug:
A faulty thermosat?? Or not having Thermosat????

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
In my opinion it would be the faulty thermostat Faulty being that it won't open or opens too late.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
not really. the idea of removing the thermostat is so that you don't have to replace it ever again, which cost money and downtime. the thermostat itself is cheap.

but if it really will caused problem, then you better have it on.

btw my vt temp normally sat just below the half mark. but lately i noticed if i get caught in a traffic jam it will go up to just below 3/4. umm... wonder if it's the new engine oil i'm using, 10w-40? i normally used 10w-50 or 15w-50.

edit: i have thermostat and radiator is really old. recent service had the radiator flushed, new coolant and new radiator cap.

Because your looking for a cheap quick fix because the car has overheated, otherwise why would you remove the thermostat?

robsgt4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Lots of reasons for cars to overheat, water pump could be stuffed, radiator or hose' have pin holes, taking your thermostat out is not recommended, so put one back in.

The best way to fix it would be to have your radiator pressure tested, replace all the cooling system hoses and maybe even replace your water pump, not too sure what they are like on the commodores but I had a GT4 Celica that I ended up finding my water pump was shagged, it was that eroded internally that it was almost doing nothing! New water pump and the celica ran cool!

banga

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt berlina series 1
or your radiator could just need a clean out, , and i mean for it to be pulled apart and rodded out , not just having a hose shoved down its neck , which does stuff all , and yes put the thermo in its an easy job