Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How is your VZ going so far?

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Hey all,

Long time since I been in this forum. My beloved VY2 Berlina was written off by some f*****t whilst I was at work. Its just crazy as when it happened, I was on the phone to a guy in Melbourne ordering a 3.45 diff!

Anyways, I'm looking to get another commodore and still deciding between a VY and a VZ. I drove a VZ the other day and it seemed real nice. Definately noticed the smoother top end after driving an Ecotec for 4 years and 223,000kms.

My question is though, how is your VZ's reliability going so far? Sure reliability can be different in people's eyes, but I'm talking generally in terms of oil leaks (rear main seal?), the thermostat from what I hear and just general commodore things.

I don't mind going back to Ecotec, but since I've got the opportunity to buy another car, I thought id give a VZ a go.

I must say, my biggest disappointment owning my VY was that the gearbox went at 183,000kms. That's with being religiously serviced.

Look forward to your feedback

Slipper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SV6 A5
After owning my VZ sv6 for 3ish years here is what I can tell you:

- I like it, have liked owning it and have enjoyed it for what it is but wouldn't ever own another, whether v6/v8 or Z HSV.
- Build quality overall is kind of crap, interior plastics/rattles/squeaks just cheapen the overall feeling.
- Engine (alloytech 190) pretty gutless and crap, fortunately this hasn't broken yet (touch wood). Really crap on fuel for the power it outputs.
- Diff is crap, clunks a bit.
- Stock sound system is rather crap.
- Handling is kind of ok in the dry, bit crap when going around corners, really crap in the wet (no not the tyres fault only 500km on current set of very good wet weather bridgestones).

By far the worst part of the car is the transmission (5L40E), absolute dog of a thing wouldn't own another car with one. I'm not sure how the 4 speed in the VY's is but the 5 speed is the absolute worst in terms of gear changing and reliability. Fairly smooth if you dont use paddles to shift and keep the revs under 3k...

Replaced:
- Ariel, just came up one day and snapped off when car was stationary, smacking into the side and scratching paint (Grrr)
- Complete transmission recondition at 85k
- Rear door actuator broke, not sure when
- Thermostat at 95k, brakes machined at around same time
- Alternator at 99k

Car currently at 102k

Full service history on time, elderly owner prior to me so no history of abuse, things have just seemingly broke for no reason.
This is of course my biased opinion based on my experiences, but my suggestion would be to not buy either a VY or VZ, there are better cars out there, or save for another 6 months and be more content in your purchase, mine will be sold at the end of the year to be replaced by a G6E Turbo.
All the best

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
For everything people say about the alloytec all I've had trouble with the actual engine is a small oil leak and a bit of a rattle (probably from the tensioners). Had a few electrical problems.
Air con doesn't work too well
Rear passenger side window doesnt work
Bubbling noise from the air con
Diffs a bit ****
Power steerings getting a bit heavy

You'll only get problems with engine sludge when you skip services so just make sure to have a decent look at a VZ before you buy it and as usual do a background check on it if you can. Mines at 130k and still going pretty well, if I had to choose between a VY and a VZ i'd definitely choose the VZ.

X6 One Tonner

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ X6 One Tonner
I have only owned my 2005 One tonner Cross6 VZ ute for 2 months now so far so good

I had to fix a rocker cover leak ( Turned out to be a couple of loose bolts holding the cover down )

I took the cover off and i seem to be one of the lucky ones as the engine is really clean inside no sludge in the top end anyway (motor is still original and stock)

I changed the oil in everything ( diff's,trans,transfer case,brake fluid,engine + filter )

The only worry was the front diff was really clean oil and the rear was grey treacle colored with a hint of silver

Air con is too cold even in QLD heat
passenger window needs to be 1/8 inch down to stop squeaking in frame

No other leaks yet no rattles , Transmission seems ok no clunks changes hardly noticable

General fit and finish is pretty poor though and poor fuel economy even on the hi-way 12-14 l/100kms

It was serviced at 7500 km( trans every 3rd service by request ) intervals and Swapped onto penrite synthetic 5w40 since 22,000km's now reading 110,000kms according to the receipts ,the previous owner was 60 plus

Just ordered some new o2 sensors to see if the economy improves

Happy for now as the insurance is $350 a year cheaper than my wrx sti was, just a LOT slower and handles worse than the Costa Concordia cruise liner

I test drove 3 different VE'S and all of them flashed up check powertrain on the test drive's No thanks and i really need the carrying capacity of the one tonner as I live on acreage and the AWD is a bit of an advantage down the bottom paddock

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
2005 VZ SV8 6spd 5.7

Owned since new and about 198,000kms on it now.

Replaced/rebuilt parts list:

Water pump x 2 (One under warranty)
Diff rebuilt once at 100,000kms due to bearing noise and getting noisy again now.
Strut top bushes and bearings done once.
Oil pressure sensor
Normal stuff like shocks and brake pads.

Stuff I need to do:

Clutch, yes still on original clutch that still doesnt slip. Its held up well with over 300rwhp most of its life and Im far from a granny driver. The takeup point on the pedal is very high though haha.
Engine mounts
Tailshaft rubber couplings.

This has been the most reliable car Ive ever owned. It has minor engine oil leaks from the sump but over 5000kms (how often I change the oil) the amount on the dipstick doesnt change.

Everything else is still like new, no rattles inside and interior is in mint condition.

I honestly believe the VZ is the best Commodore ever made and thats not because I own one.

Last edited:

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
Many mixed views on the vz ive owned mine for nearly 3 years now (longest ive owned a car). All i have had to do was replace the oil pressure sender the rest of it hasnt missed a beat. Fuel on the other hand its a bit thirsty but i think its because i only drive a short distance to work improves alot on long drives. the interior i cant fault mine has no rattles or shakes. so i guess youll just have to judge each car by itself

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Oh that reminds me I have replaced an oil pressure sensor also...

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Question: How is your VZ going so far?

My understanding of your question is realted to fuel economy. I find that a light right foot on the accelerator and minimum braking, this can be achieved by reading the traffic in front and allowing ample distance between vehicles to avoid having to constantly use the brake. Remember each time you apply the brake it takes additional fuel to regain the speed you just wiped off.
I generally average about 12 litres per 100km around town and as low as 7.8 on the highway.

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
I have a WL caprice thanks to an insurance claim on the f3 front of the car was mostly replaced recently,
Car did have a noisy front end over bumps.

- interior does lack standards
- squeaks in the strangest places.
- 190kw is gutless under 3,000 revs.
- 5sp shifts good in my opinion despite what others say.
- Engine always tries to sludge after 5,000km in the car forced to change oil at 7.5 max.

overall very good but i've owned a few vz's this is the best, but next i'd get a VE.

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Thanks everyone for your replies so far. It seems like it really is the luck of the draw when it comes to these cars. I am looking at Commodores, simply because parts can be had pretty much anywhere, and also mechanics wherever you go are most likely very familiar with Commodores in general.

I drive a early 2000 Mercedes at the moment, I have to say she has been very reliable so far but its just the rubber related things that do your head in. I am thinking of getting a Commodore though because of above.

The question isn't about economy at all. Its about general ownership of the actual vehicle. Mostly reliability, things that annoy you, and if there is anything that has failed on the car that has cost a fortune that is a trend.

I am possibly moving to a smaller town and I need something that is reliable as I don't want to worry about something every 5 mins. The Merc is reliable, however even finding a decent Mercedes mechanic in Brisbane is hard.

Thanks