Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] HOW TO: change a serpentine belt (vs)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I take the belt of the alternator pulley, although I don't have the engine cover on so very easy access.

Should be able to do it with just a spanner on the tensioner pulley, just make sure the belt is sitting properly on all the other pulleys first, if it's not and it's sitting up on the teeth of another pulley than the belt will seem to short.

M

magnumv8

Thanks guys, just replaced the serpentine belt on my vy. These instructions made it a 5min job.

john57

Reaction score
Members Ride
equip vs
Seems too easy, but reckon my belt tension is too loose, as can almost slide the belt off the tensioner pulley since there are no teeth at this point, how do you tighten the belt and how tight should it be?

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
The tensioner assembly is supposed to handle keeping the belt at the right tension. It's possible your assembly is on the way out, I had to replace mine at around 270,000km when the spring collapsed. Sadly I have to replace it again as the "new" OEM one I got from Holden has half-collapsed (dodgy from new, useless barsteads), meaning the belt slips forward on the arm and the outer rib on the belt gets chewed off. That's as far as it slides but I've been warned by the WOF inspector (like a roadworthy) it should technically fail the warrant.

mkhannah

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore, vs statesman
Just joined the forum to thank vs dream and everyone else who contributed to this thread, saved me some $ and a heap of time replacing my sons vr belt, good on you all :)

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I photocopied and laminated setup and put them in the 3xVS we had.
Didn`t matter if got dirty cleaned and back in the glove box.

Mark Steele

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Storm Ute 2003 VY02A
Hi everyone, just signed up and need some advice pertaining to the Pulley EP030 (?)
I just spotted a hand full of plastic shavings scattered about the Upper Right Pulley on my Holden Storm Ute.
I'm not sure if something plastic has been caught up here or the pulley is totally missing the 'plastic wheel hub' it may have had.
Heres some pics...
Holden Storm VY - upper right pulley.jpg
Holden Storm VY - Pulley Diagram.jpg