Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO change FUEL pump

MAC-VN

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn90
recently burnt out my fuel pump by runing it till emtpy
so i need to no how to replace it please
wroth going for new one from autobarn or second hand

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
Get a GENUINE fuelpump, they are cheaper, well used to be and better probably. NEVER NEVER EVER EVER mention second hand fuel pump around me.
1. suck ya fuel out
2. jack it up
3. onplug pump
4. make sure you know where the top is, mark it if you need to
5. get a drain tin, large, undo the bottom fuel pump bolts a bit and let it drain until it stops
6. remove bolts and carefully manoeuver the pump assembly out of tank, dd i say carefully?.
7. carefully disabssemble and replace pump making sure the thing is put on correctly. DO NOT BENCH TEST!!!
8. Carefully manouvere the pump assembly back in, did i say carefully?? very carefully. dont forget new cork gasket
9. hold on place and put bolts in tighening them up gradually in sequence
10. plug it all back up
11. lower vehicle
12. FILL WITH FUEL REMOVED
13. start engine.

you might wanna change the fuel filter while your under there.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
I got a new pump an fuel filter from ripco cheaper then just the pump form Holden, can take a lil bit of time to do but as said above be very careful when putting it back in an take care with the cork gasket. was about $114 from ripco i think.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
i know im stating the obvious here but dont go to super cheap and buy one of their cheapo 'fuel miser' pumps or whatever they are. it will die a week after its out of warranty.

surely a good genuine bosch pump at a decent price cant be too hard to find

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
A couple more hints/tips:

Use a thread sealer on the bolts - they pass through into the tank. Not a silicon sealer. Use Loctite 242 or similar on clean and dry threads.

Support the car under the body and let the rear axle hang. That will give a little more space to manouevre the pump assembly out.

Note and match the orientation of the strainer "sock" when removing and fitting on the end of the pump pick up.

Lost_Pete

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Wagon
While you're at it, check the breather hoses to the filler pipe and on top of the tank and replace the perished ones (usually all of them).

And as everyone has said, buy a quality pump.............unless you want to do all this again in a year's time.

vps231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS s2,Vp S, 180B SSS Project
Try and remember what way u twist the fuel pump to get it out, Will save u alot of head f#ck when putting the new pump in.

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
thanks guys, i assume this is the same for my VR? have to try doing what you just said this week, hope it works out. how'd you do mac_vn?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
new factory pumps are ac delco now and come with new gasket and strainer..DONT BUY SECONDHAND from wreckers...they are cheap short term .... but you will be doing it twice .......... Be careful with internal rubber return line when removing unit from tank flange as it breaks easy. When refilling with fresh fuel after job it takes quite a bit of fuel to fill up swirl pot in tank so the new pump primes and picks it up....in my case 20 litres.

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
new factory pumps are ac delco now and come with new gasket and strainer..DONT BUY SECONDHAND from wreckers...they are cheap short term .... but you will be doing it twice .......... Be careful with internal rubber return line when removing unit from tank flange as it breaks easy. When refilling with fresh fuel after job it takes quite a bit of fuel to fill up swirl pot in tank so the new pump primes and picks it up....in my case 20 litres.

cheers, i got it in good, car goes now. Need to watch out for that gasket though, i'm gonna have to take it off again tomorrow. let it all leak over night just after i filled it up!
imgres