Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to Change the Oil in a VT/VX

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
zandahar said:
HAH I did that when I was like 15 or so although I never had to jack it up but still forgot to put the plug back in. Pouring away with the oil and noticed through the gaps in the engine there was this oil running on the ground im like wtf. Look underneath "heh woops"

On another note I've never had an issue getting the filter off with a filter remover, havent resorted to the screwdriver...YET!
It's never an issue on Commo's or Falcons..

Try undoing the filter on my 96' Corolla or a Mazda 323.. The location's shitty and they're rivetted on..

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
zandahar said:
On another note I've never had an issue getting the filter off with a filter remover, havent resorted to the screwdriver...YET!

Waking up the thread here ;)

Pop down to Supercheap and for like $3 you can get a filter chain - it wraps around the filter and you can lever it off easily. Or one of those jar openers you get at coles with the adjustable rubber strap. Or yeah, the screwdriver straight through the filter. Never had to resort to that but don't see it being too clean ;)

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
mistaken said:
Waking up the thread here ;)

Pop down to Supercheap and for like $3 you can get a filter chain - it wraps around the filter and you can lever it off easily. Or one of those jar openers you get at coles with the adjustable rubber strap. Or yeah, the screwdriver straight through the filter. Never had to resort to that but don't see it being too clean ;)

Filter chain costs about $10.. I've snapped 3 of em already, but the filters were stuck on tighter then a nuns.. They were tight..

The adjustable rubber strap ones are good for Commodores/Falcons where they're not too tight.. But small Asian cars are something else..

And screw drivers aren't clean.. They're a bitch..

I go the chain anyday..

adam_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU manual
if your doing it at home and you cant quite get the filter off by hand, and you dont have proper removing tools, before trying the messy screwdriver way, find a rubber gardening or dishwashing glove, they always help for that extra bit of grip

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
is it a big deal if you forget the washer in the sump ?

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
bradvt98 said:
is it a big deal if you forget the washer in the sump ?

It can be. I forgot mine and it leaked like a chick with her rags and no tampon..

A mechanic I was talking to said he forgot the washer on a clients VT and nothing happened....

Last edited:

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
if u really wanna know exactly how much oil to put in its between 4.8 and 5 litres. normally about 4.9 for vt/vx. and if anyone is reading this and has a vy ecotec they take 6.1L as they have a bigger sump.

geez u learn alot about commodores when u work for holden.

o and the washer is just a lil bit of a spacer for the plug as there is a whole recessed on the sump just to keep the plug out so its easier to undo. (if u have a look u will kno what i mean)

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
well i've had no leaks as yet so should be ok

white vn ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
yea should be no dramas. just watch it though.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Thought I'd share my experience - spent a whole day just trying to undo the sump plug!. Unable to shift (had 2 other try). Ended up using mole grips and totally ruining the head.

Eventually had to go to Ultra Tune - a little embarrassed. They said - this happens a lot. Used a hammer and cold chisel to create a groove and tapped it free in about 20 secs.

The issue is that you need to have leverage space (my car was up on ramps - but the plug just wouldn't shift. So a 90k service ended up taking about a day - mostly with frustration.

All done now. make sure you have the correct spanner head. leverage room and muscle.