Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to connect Speedo in vk 1984 to T700 gearbox

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Wow that is a cheap fix...unscrew vss & fit aftermarket cable.

Keep forgetting about th700 as rarely see them now...mostly 4l60e that need vss to work lol

Did speedo stop working or it has never worked & never been looked at properly?
I’ve only just got the car and the previous owner said he was unsure about what was going on with Speedo. I checked the gear box and I took a rough photo - it appears it had a connection coming out.

I’m just trying to fix things and make it right - but on the old budget lol please see picture attached.

Attachments

• IMG_8964.jpeg
    IMG_8964.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 32

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
I’m not entirely sure (still learning this all trying to fix things from the past and unknown) I have attached a picture for reference. Would be great to see what you think is going here?
Cheers
I believe this is the fitting I have sticking out of the gear box 100%. What will I need to do to get this running with analog dash? Any help would be awesome, thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 36

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes u have the earlier type with the mechanical drive (speed sensor comes off the end dont loose the drive tip inside), i can only assume they drive the correct direction maby check vehicle moving forward should be anticlockwise cable turning, then if so u can fit a cable to it with turbo 400, 300 style bottom fitting and top fitting to suit the speedo have to see f its screw on fitting or clip on fitting then a length, as long as the vehicle is geared same as the vn vp then it should be accurate, as mentioned can be tight to get a cable onto it there and u dont want too much of a bend or the cable wont last long so a right angle drive or something may be needed also

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
yes u have the earlier type with the mechanical drive (speed sensor comes off the end dont loose the drive tip inside), i can only assume they drive the correct direction maby check vehicle moving forward should be anticlockwise cable turning, then if so u can fit a cable to it with turbo 400, 300 style bottom fitting and top fitting to suit the speedo have to see f its screw on fitting or clip on fitting then a length, as long as the vehicle is geared same as the vn vp then it should be accurate, as mentioned can be tight to get a cable onto it there and u dont want too much of a bend or the cable wont last long so a right angle drive or something may be needed also
Forgive me, when you say connect the cable, do you mean connect to the white fitting attached the sensor? If you could clarify for me that would be great. Thanks

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
no u cant use the white plug as u have mechanical speedo so u need a cable to suit the gearbox then connect to the speedo, if u take the sensor off the fitting it will just unscrew off (dont loose the drive tip inside), that male gearbox fitting is what the cable connects too to drive the speedo, same as standard vk speedo cable just u will need a custom one to suit the gearbox fitting as they are usually a trimatic with a different fitting, i think rod shop or rare spares might do the cables if u tell them what gearbox and speedo u have and a length u need, also worth checking if u may need a angle adapter if there is going to be too much of a bend on the cable

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Scatman696

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk berlina
Thanks all for your input, it’s appreciated - can you advise once connected what will or how will I get it to be accurate? Can a mechanic do this? Or am I best to go to a transmission place? Thanks

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are different size gears that go into the gearbox that determine the revolutions of the cable and the speedo.

Probably best to talk to the supplier. Tell them your diff ratio and tire size and they should be able to say what speedo drive gear is needed to get it reading accurately.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If nothing is wired up to other end of that vss plug then doubt it ever had working speedo with th700 conversion.

I'd buy cable see if it screws in & works...check speedo with gps app but as long as using same read diff gear ratio & wheels as vn/p should be read close enough.

If you're running different wheels & diff ratio speedo will be out & if needs right angle adaptor starts to look exxy...$90 + $180 adaptor if required & few hundred more for corrector starts to add up.

Malex Motorsport up your way sell th700 cable $80 so that would be worth a try if wanting to tightarse a fix assuming stock diff gears & wheel size as a vn.

They also do electric speedbox vss/gps drive that would set you back $600 or so with short cable to speedo then you wire it it in....can be adjusted for different gears/wheels.