Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to convert VR/VS tail lights to LED.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I don't like the standard lights because I think they are too dim, but Altezza tail lights look gay.

Heres my solution.

The tail light assembly itself need the outer lens removed gently with a heat gun. Since it will be a few days till I have a heat gun handy, I will make a start on the LED strips I plan to use.

I've already discovered of course that these LEDs will not work in the indicators... white behind white = ummm white...

taillight4_zps6b2261be.jpg

I've got some yellow LED indicator globes I may use, or I may order some yellow LED strips the same as these... I did try painting these yellow, but trust me its a fail...

You can of course buy these LED strips in different colours, for use in interiors, sub boxes etc. If you want flashy effects, each roll comes with a single controller which can give various flashing patterns like a xmas tree. Only one controller is a bugger if you want 14 different sets of lights all flashing independently I guess but how far do you want to go lol...

You can get RGB versions too, which change colour.

So.. just so you can see the general plan. I plan on removing the outer lenses on these tail lights (held on by some kind of sika-like material, a heat gun appears to be the only way to do this) and installing LED strips inside the original lights.

The end result will be something like this... only with a more complete set of nicely arranged LEDs. These are simply pushed in through the original globe hole to see what they would look like.

LED0007_zps028691ef.jpg

Until I get the lens covers off, lets have a look at the LEDs.

This is a 5m roll.. 300 LED's in total, sealed in a waterproof resin cover. Each metre of LED strip uses 3.2W @ 12v. It comes with a single controller that has various flashing xmas light style patterns, but I won't be using this.

The roll was $12.50 free post from ebay.. 'buy it now' is $30 or so, but most of the auctions are won at around the $15 mark, so bid, don't 'buy it now'.

LED0000_zpsb3c2c653.jpg

You can cut these into desired lengths. Each section is 3 LEDs, about 50mm. So long as you cut by sections, you can cut any size you want. A pair of sharp scissors does this neatly and easily. Each 3 LED section has a little electronic part, I have no idea what it is but obviously its the reason they cut in 3s.

LED0001_zps46bab852.jpg

You are cutting so as to leave the copper contacts intact on either side of the cut. Here's one end after cutting.

LED0002_zpsf88a4468.jpg

Then you need to expose the contacts. If you plan on making this an individual light, you only need the contacts on one end. If you plan on running them as a series (good for going around corners, or reducing wiring quantities), you will need to expose the contacts on both ends.

LED0003_zps054f313e.jpg

Solder some wire onto the contacts. I've just used some crap speaker wire for experimenting, but its probably good enough anyway. They really dont draw a lot of power.

Some dodgy soldering here, the other thing I really need is a smaller, hotter soldering iron.

LED0004_zpsf64ffc8c.jpg

This one only has wires at one end. I could run a couple wires from the other end too, and connect another strip in series without issue.

LED0005_zps8380be1a.jpg

The other thing to remember here is LEDs are polarity sensitive. If you get - and + reversed they just wont work. Check before soldering lol. The result is pretty bright !! and this 300mm section is using about 1w of power.

LED0006_zpsd25fd52c.jpg

I'll update as I get all the pieces ready and the outer lenses off.

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Looking good Dak.

Trikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SV6 Manual
the little part you mentioned is a surface mount resistor, this limits the current to the LED's so they do not burn up

Are you just going to use the section of 3 LED's for the park light side of the brake light?

will be interested to see how it turns out, just don't go making them too bright of you will risk getting defected

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U can use the oven to warm the whole assembly and remove the outer lens whilst U wait for ur heat gun. Set it around 50-70deg and keep an eye on it. Last thing U want is carmelisation ;)

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
why not just buy LED replacements for the globes? works a treat for brightening them up and you can get red dual filament for stop tail and amber for blinkers also a flasher unit for them blinkers to stop it blinking at a million miles an hour. seems a hell of a lot simpler.

Also the biggest problem facing vr-vs tail lights these days is fading and having white led wont help color wise and being alot brighter will probably make the fading look worse at night.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
why not just buy LED replacements for the globes? works a treat for brightening them up and you can get red dual filament for stop tail and amber for blinkers also a flasher unit for them blinkers to stop it blinking at a million miles an hour. seems a hell of a lot simpler.

Also the biggest problem facing vr-vs tail lights these days is fading and having white led wont help color wise and being alot brighter will probably make the fading look worse at night.

im going to take a stab at him wanting euro style lights.
kinda like how some audis and so forth.

would be interesting to see how they could come up if the LED strips were the correct colours.
just an idea :p

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina

Actually a number of reasons. For one, I have already bought a set of those LED globes, and honestly, I was bitterly disappointed with them. They made SFA difference.
Yes, I also would like a more modern 'euro' look out of them rather than the overly chintzy chinese 'Altezza' tail lights, which just look cheap.
And the deciding factor.. I have lots of spare tail lights, all in good nick. I'm just mucking about at this point, coloured LEDS will probably happen.

Even if they were faded, its less than $200 to replace them with new, readily available just down the road from me.

Last edited:

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
Definitely watching this thread.

Been wanting to do it for ages but I'm absolutely useless when it comes to wiring..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
LED replacement globes

LEDglobe1_zpsc1cb26eb.jpg

Naked Tail light and indicator. Brake light not on, adds about 50% more to the red.

LEDglobe2_zpsff8e8438.jpg

The yellow, maybe.. but nah I will get yellow LED strips too I think. The red.. fail.

LEDglobe3_zps79b56935.jpg