Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to get smooth clear of the gun

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i wouldnt paint a rubbish bin wit acrylic...

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
this is one of the funniest threads ive ever read acrylic is the simplest material to use and is equal to 2pac under most conditions people just have to realise acrylic takes around 128 days to completely release its solvents so if you can wait that long before you buff polish or wat ever thats when it will hold its maximum gloss , and as bellicose has said if you ever used 2pac back in the early 80s it was total crap , ive had 35 years in the trade and can only laugh when people claim poor old acrylic is **** cause its really a bloody good paint if applied correctly it is easy as to touch up no scuffing edges and the likes just blend it in so much easier for the less skilled of us to do , plus buff it with a bit of the old carplan TCUT and it will shine like glass its best buddy is a bit of retarder thinners to help with flow and gloss off the gun , its also a lot less harmful to the human body as well no iscocyanates nast little buggers these are known to build up in the body over time and can make ya pretty darn crook .

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Finally. Someone who knows their acrylic. I did my apprenticeship when 2 pak was only first coming onto the scene and everyone hated it. The tradesman who taught me would swear by acrylic and used brasso to cut new paint with. I ran into him a few years ago and he's still doing a few odd resprays ( in acrylic of course) and he's in his mid eighties now.

CustomSprayMods

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute Series 2
There is a shop in seven hills in Sydney who still uses acrylic. And we have been doing free lessons on acrylic once a month for the last 3 years and get up to 30 people every time. Not everyone has a booth so its perfect.

CSM

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
LOL sorry i was tired when i wrote that, i meant 2pac is what u put clear over, if you were smart enough you couldve figured that out but anyway
If you were smart enough you wouldnt have fcuked up in the first place

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i never put anything on a car that can be moved with a solvent. plus you have to buff it every couple of months because of gloss drop out. spill anything on it and chances are it will bubble up and youll be repainting it. also if you wanna dry sand it it will just gum up your papers. i hate dealing with acrylic jobs. ive got a vp in maranello red acrylic, it was a friggin nightmare doing the body work having the papers gum up. like i said before i would put it on a rubbish bin. the only thing i enjoying doing with acrylic is pouring liquid paint stripper on it and scraping that **** off....

blasta1

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
hi ryder acrylic dont lose its gloss ever couple of months unless you are prepareing your surface incorrectly which is the major cause of gloss loss it doesnt gum up paper any worse than 2k its also a darn site easier to rub down than 2k and also why would you be spilling thinners or the likes on your car thats just weird . its good to see some one doing training classes in acrylic for people with out a booth cause if they use 2k in the shed at home it can have fatal concequensis as a late mate of mine found out ( god rest his soul ) he died of isocyanate poisoning after doing a respray in his shed at home he was 25 years old at the time the old acran by dulux was real nasty stuff and no one knew how nasty back when this happened , but it was a wake up call thats for certain . the old acrylic has some good and some bad points i will admit but its not as hard to use as some make out i have panels that i painted in tech that are as glossy today as when they were first buffed and have never seen or been near a buff or polish since first done .