Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW TO replace headlining - Very detailed

WhiteVS

Stockish
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sacked VT Berlina

Last edited:

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
will be doing this lil project in the near future at last a quire to a problem that many of us pre vt owner's have

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I found the spray glue and contacts were not good to use, never held properly, use the selleys glue in the can at bunnings, comes in different size cans, the $20 can lasted me for a couple of roof linings, paint it on in the shade and do middle first then side sections, not thick coats but enough to hold material, works a treat. hope that helps.

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
k&h adhsive spray works the best i have 40° days and its 80° in the car it holds the best

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ill say it once and ill say it again, most contact adhesives are **** and will not withstand this job. As soon as it comes summer, headlinings are just gonna fall down.

I highly recommend Selleys Kwik Dry Contact Adhesive, it is heat and cold resistant and comes in mighty big cans or smaller cans. for a price from 20-30 bucks. Its a lot messier than contact adhesive but it does the job right the first time. Just dont apply it to thick, have someone help you apply the material evenly and ...

DO NOT PRESS ON THE HEADLINING WHILE THE ADHESIVE IS DRYING​

Ive had my headlining up for 6 months now, its still staying strong and its holding a massive emborided lion to the roof as well.

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
I agree 100% with Grennan, do it properly the first time, take the advice of people who have done it before and save yourself wasted time and money.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Ha, as stated by someone else dont bother with the spotlight spray on. or the K&H spray adhesive, I got this great stuff (Permatex, Body Shop, Heavy Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive) $20 for a spray can, adjust nozzle to spray one can for the foam, one can for the fabric.

MY first attempt fell off the next day and that was with the spotlight glue, it said permanant bond, I sprayed both materials too.

I used suede (red) and am currently spraying the interior to match.

Thanks for the HOWTO I would never have tackled this on my own without it.

mark_1000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Clubsport
I managed to finish mine a couple of months ago. Didnt really turn out as well as i wanted it to lol. Too many bumps in the foam etc, and like with most people, ****ty spray adhesive was my biggest problem. I Ended up buying 2 cans and emptied them both on both bits of fabric. Most of it holds, but there is a section near the back that sags a bit, but i really cbf taking it out again and starting over :whistling

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
can you guys tell me when once the sunvisers and handles are out do you just untuck the roof it self or do you have to peel back all the door rubbers and stuff, i looked at the rear quarter panel and all the plastic near the back window loks like it needs to come out to get the roof off, just wondering if yu just untuck it?? Thanks guys

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Dont touch the stuff at the back window, youll break it all before you get it off. I removed the visors handles and just pulled the door rubbers down enough that i could slide the roof card, also you may need to take out the plastic bits near the sealt belts and near the front window.

Once you do that, just slide the entire roof card forward, it should be fairly easy to just slide it. Saves you breaking the rear window plastics. Once you do that, figure out which door is easiet to get the roof out of, i used the rear passenger side with the seats rolled down.