Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to spot an unmarked police car

TrEnNaVY

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6
Must be different out your way. In SA you can get defected even if your car is 100% legal!

how the hell can that happen???
SA is crazy:bang:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Must be different out your way. In SA you can get defected even if your car is 100% legal!
Yes, i have heard many things about SA cop's ways. Definatly different here in vic. In SA i've heard they impound cars for speeding under "hoon" laws. Not sure how much over, but vic have a fair higher threshold before they do that. Here in vic to be defectible you need to break 3 rules (generally, if one is a major problem that can get you an instant canary... e.g. a car that's 1cm off the ground would be defected then and there) to get a canary.

Here in vic there are police members who brag they can defect a new car as it rolls out of the car yard. But most members dont or can't. If you get done for speeding over here you need to have a ridicoulously defectable vehicle to also get done for that. Unless the cop is having a bad day. My vehicle is technically defectible [height with "stock" (as far as i know) FE2 suspension has lowest point of vehicle at 6cm above ground]. Tint was my fault, and same as tyre level. Tyre will soon be changed though. I had all those problems when i was pulled over for speeding, and cop mentioned to me my low tyre tread and i was on my way.

It's one of the reasons i dont want to go over to SA as much as i would like. Vic cops are a little more leniant.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Managed to acquire another pic of an undercover police vehicle. Not sure if i've posted other pics of this one up here, if not i'll post them soonish maybe.

Anyways, this is a dead giveway, the radios and the buttons on the centre console is a dead giveaway! Also, the carpety piece you see is placed over the stock dash controls when the vehicle is in use. Usually by this stage you probably have seen the lights on the rear parcel shelf, in the centre of the front dash, the stock wheels and the aerial on the back, but usually too late.

DSC00187.JPG

Some of these vehicles are allowed to be driven by officers to and from home. Some even take them out on the weekend if they're not rostered on. Even though the police members are technically NOT rostered on they can pull you over still. Usually they wont bother on the way to and from home unless you do something really stupid, in which case they'll come down on you like a ton of bricks. One guy got pulled over by a cop i know on their way to work for drifting around a corner and then speeding. Got fined, luckily didn't get vehicle impounded. A few days later i found out i knew the guy that got fined too [through a friend of mine], was calling the police member an asshole, then explained that because of the good attitude he used when speaking to the officer that saved his vehicle being impounded. He shut up after that.

Explosions Hurt

'05 VZ SV8
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV8
The unmarked VE's still have lights in the back window as well as in the rear brake lights. Also still on the dash. Have a mate that works Nautech who do all the police installs so keeps me posted :)

Some of the VE's have new l.e.d light bars which are very slim so at night they are hard to spot

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Actually, Explosions Hurt just reminded me, there are a few Holden VY and VZ wagons getting around too, older style blue and red flashers (filament lights instead of LED).

The lights are mounted at the front in the sunvisor strip or on the dash. In the rear there is two seperate boxes (one for each colour) high on the rear window on the inside. From the rear they have those flashers and the reverse lights flash as well. The flash is slower than normal vehicles for these, however they are STILL police vehicles, so stop for them.

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
Managed to acquire another pic of an undercover police vehicle. Not sure if i've posted other pics of this one up here, if not i'll post them soonish maybe.

Anyways, this is a dead giveway, the radios and the buttons on the centre console is a dead giveaway! Also, the carpety piece you see is placed over the stock dash controls when the vehicle is in use. Usually by this stage you probably have seen the lights on the rear parcel shelf, in the centre of the front dash, the stock wheels and the aerial on the back, but usually too late.

DSC00187.JPG

I am actually curious what that blue carpet/material thing is with what looks like a wire or tube coming out of it

Dazz

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
I am actually curious what that blue carpet/material thing is with what looks like a wire or tube coming out of it

Dazz
I said what that "blue carpet/material thing" is. It's to cover the radio controls so its not a temptation in these vehicles to use it. Funny you should mention carpet though, because at the time of this picture the front light bar had carpet covering the flasher. But in this pic it was just placed over the police things. Lets just say, the neighbourhood area isn't that good, and if people could see it is an undercover police vehicle it wouldn't be in it's current state for long.

p-town

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm
love coming from a small town with only 2 undercover cars, which are rotated about every 6 months.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, i was taking my GTR for a spin about six months ago. i decided to enter the motorway on the speed limiter. ANYWAY, i overtook an undercover in a ford territory and didnt realise. the cop tailgated me for ages (i had slowed down to the speed limit by that stage) and i was getting annoyed.

when the motorway ended there was a nice roundabout that i took at speed and a little sideways.

now i know that speeding is bad, and i know going sideways is bad blah blah blha, my point is that THE COP KEPT UP WITH ME!!!! in a freakin ford territory!!!!! hats off to that guy, man. that territory must have been damn close to tipping. i was goin no less than 100.

luckily he didnt have speed detection in his car or i would have been walking for life.