Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How To Wash Your Engine Without Drowning It.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I might add that I was told once if I was going to wash my engine bay to just put a plastic bag over the alternator so that you don't get any water in it, that'll save you a bit of hassle :)

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
interesting theory. i detail around 5 engines a week for last few years without any problems. its pretty simple really, spray with degreaser/acid/apc and let it do its thing for a couple of minutes, then hit it with the spitwater (flows 3x as much water as the fun of the mill gerni/karcher) while avoiding alternator, fuse boxes and injector wiring. after this i start the car and let it run for about 10-15 minutes so the heat of the motor evaporates all the water in the bay. i do this to my own car every 2 weeks with no issues. as mentioned above you can cover alternator with a plastic bag if you want extra insurance. water isnt the problem with engine bay cleaning, the problem is the person aiming the pressure washer. not realy a job (degreasing) to be done with just a garden hose as it wont have the pressure to lift off grease and oil but regular maintainace is fine.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I clean the engine bay of my work Volkswagen Crafter every couple of months with degreaser and high pressure hose and I hose absolutely everything, alternator, electrics, and never had a problem in over 4 years with it.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
Forgive me if I sound stupid but I went to bunnies to buy one of these bad boys.. But I couldn't find em and when I asked the guy he basically just said no.. I was just gonna buy one anyway but I couldn't find a "swissmix" one so was gonna go to mitre but I really cbf with the 20 min drive... Then I thought why can't I just use my gerni but not turn it on? Is that the same amount of pressure I would get from one of these?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I just went to Bunning's yesterday and they had heaps. Not sure if they were the Swiss Mix ones though.
He obviously didn't know, or couldn't be bothered. I even saw them at the barging shop.
As far as the same pressure, dunno never used one. All I know is, that the pressure sprayer can give a very direct adjustable jet
and it has a small nozzle that can get into tight places.

MattaY[s2]

BEA5TN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Executive
I just went to Bunning's yesterday and they had heaps. Not sure if they were the Swiss Mix ones though.
He obviously didn't know, or couldn't be bothered. I even saw them at the barging shop.
As far as the same pressure, dunno never used one. All I know is, that the pressure sprayer can give a very direct adjustable jet
and it has a small nozzle that can get into tight places.

Blah.. sucks... Just for reference what section were they in? gardening? with the sweed spraying things?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
MattaY[s2];2441260 said:
Blah.. sucks... Just for reference what section were they in? gardening? with the sweed spraying things?

Yep......Gardening section.

PZVNGI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive Series II
great tip, thank you.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Just put a Plastic bag over the ignition, spray degreaser and hose away.

I spray degreaser on first while the engine is stone cold and not running. Then i start the engine and instantly start hosing. That way if something does happen it will dry out a bit quicker.

And no you wont crack your block. Just dont hose it while its overheating...