Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] How To Wash Your Engine Without Drowning It.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
My dad used to buy the degreaser and put it in the spray bottle like that and spray the motor with it and then hose it off.. You can get in good places with these sprayers

bonkers99

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs comm exec
You can use a gerny just have to be smart about it degrease engine first let it do its thing most important of all cover your coil packs befor using any water even just with a rag to stop them from getting drowned and then start the engin with the car running you are free to gerny away as you plz have done this many times as I am a mechanic and often take cars down to the car wash to use the gerny to clean them up before Rwc and never ever had a problem leave car idel for about 10 minutes and if you really want to you can use compressed air to clear waiter off electrical components. MY 2c

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
^^^I suppose I'm lucky as far as the coils go.
Unlike the V6's and the LS type engines, the 304 only has one coil and it's out of the way at the back of the engine.

Gerni's are great and do the job well. But for those who can't get to one or can't afford them, the small pressure sprayer is an excellent alternative imo.
In fact, I'd probably use one over the Gerni types.

cor3yz

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Wagon Exec / VK 202 EFI
Only think I would like to add is when cleaning aluminum /cast alloy bits is if you spray the degreaser on them whilst it's still hot, it goes all chalky. So make sure it's cooled down a bit.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
bump, any advice for an LS1 with the turtleshell off guys - looking for specific areas I shouldn't get wet.

I've actually degreased it before and used a hose with the shell on but looking to do it again and after reading horror stories I don't want to become one.

maybe an attachment for the old garden hose to restrict flow or something?

Really cbf'd getting a Gurni or sprayer JUST for the occasional engine bay clean.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just avoid hitting electrical connectors etc with high pressure water.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
I reckon something like this would be good.
No water.....Just the power of steam!!!!

steam cleaner.jpg