Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I am seeking opinions about exhaust systems for a VY.

Woodsman444

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais sedan 2008
I have a series 2 VY with a standard exhaust system that I would like to change. I want to go twin pipes from the cat back a 2.5 inch pipes as opposed to one pipe from the cat. I don't want it to be really loud but just so it has a good note to it even whilst driving at higher speed. I used to have a VE and replaced the rear pipes and the power increase was noticeable,I am not sure if it would be the same with the VY. I got a quote from a shop here in Perth of $350 but I don't know if that was a full twin system,I can buy the one I want from Ebay for $330 and free postage just not sure which option to take,this is where I would like some opinions.
Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
When you say 1 pipe from the cat, I'm assuming you have a V6.

If you want the car to sound like shite, go twin 2.5" on a V6. Twin 2.25" if the absolute max, but even that is really for a charged or turbo'd V6.

Single 2.5" is way more than enough for a standrad Ecotec.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Just buy a v8

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VY changed in 2004, so depending on the month it will have twin cats or a single cat. The systems are not interchangeable. There are very few systems that fit the twin cat model. There are no twin systems that fit it. The cats are in a different spot than the V8 so any twin system to suit a V8 won't fit either.

As acarmody said, a single 2 1/2" will sound way better. Manta do a single for them, and I can supply that system for $295 delivered in WA. It has a front muffler and rear resonator.