Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

I Had to Use Engine Flush Again

Reaction score
hi guys... once more for the idiots: To do a subtle engine flush, add 400ml diesel fuel to the old oil... run it for 10 mins then dump the lot, and refill with clean (car engine) oil? my vp has about 300kkm on it - doesnt leak or burn oil between 5000km services.

ah, do you mean diesel OIL, which has lots of detergent in it?

before doing any kind of engine flush, I'd be removing and cleaning the sump.

or else all the sludge and gunk thats in/on it, will get removed, and circulated around the engine, which could potentially make the engine worse than it was.

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
The best way to change your oil if you truely want a complete flush is to use a flushing agent/diesel for 10 minutes, dump the old oil, fill it up, run it around the block once or twice, then dump it again (maybe even with another flush)

Same goes for automatic transmissions/manual gearbox's, it actually took 3 oil changes in my old ag bike to get the oil in the casing 'clean' which is what youd expect on a 30 year old bike....

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Fair enough......i would probably run some cheap oil through just to dilute most of the diesel if left behind. There are better ways though, as using solvents and the like clean it up immediately, with the chance of blocking things becoming a possibility. The idea is to remove it slowly, liquify the sludge etc. What happens if it comes off in chunks ???

88Green, besides having a nice coloured car, did you notice you lifters keep quiet this way ???

The V8 has nice and quiet lifters - its the oil pick up that has some sludgy build up around it. Car gets the bloob bloob bloob on start up - only for a few seconds. Thats when I give it a flush and change oil & filter. If I just change the oil I'm back to the horrible noise on start up with in weeks.

When the car is repainted at some stage down the track - the engine will be slipped out for a bit of a refresh and I'll fix that BLOODY oil pickup:)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
ah, do you mean diesel OIL, which has lots of detergent in it?

Nope - diesel fuel is the cheapes form of engine flush. $2 per litre compaired to off the shelf engine flush at around $12.00

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
If you want a better flushing compound i can sell you a tin of professional grade cleaner that are trade-use only. Way better than the normal nulon stuff and cheaper at trade price.