Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ideas for a modern classic

H

harrop.senator

I'm biased but low build number 215kw senators in pristine condition can still be found under 15k I think their were 320 autos and 300 manuals made in all of the vr and the annoying argument about having a 350 in your holden that's not an ls1 factory fitted becomes fun after a while.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I did consider the 00's Monaro but at my maxxed out budget of 15k only CV6s were available unless the mileage is mind-boggling. Future resale of possibly gargantuan proportions is an obvious plus, however (would also apply to a regular Commodore SS)

Whilst I have reasonable confidence and competence at mechanical work, I am quite happy to say that I suck at paint and panel. I have tried it - no luck. I leave it to the pros.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
And the cv6 was what I was thinking of suggesting as I read through this. They are way rarer and if you want some more go then you can do this and still return it to standard as a choice for sale. Look at what 6 cylinder ht, hg monaros are worth now , they are so rare as people turned them into v8s

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anything I get I would like to be as original as possible, and shall be keeping that way. My modifying days are behind me.

After looking into it it seems a CV6 could be an alright pick - if I can find one! Performance looks to be good, and the fuel consumption is better than an SS. Only real downside is that as the V2 Monaro is quite rare there may be some difficulty getting V2 specific parts. But you can legitimately say 'I drive a Monaro'. lol!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Good point about Monaro parts. I have seen a couple of write-offs at wreckers that only seem to have minor damage to the rear. Bit of a worry for me personally.
The availability seems to be dropping off. A lot of high mileage cheapies, and those that have been fiddled with, but ‘asking’ prices seem to be escalating for original and/or hardly used examples. It may be that their age, and Holden’s future is having effect on collectability now.
CV6s are not quite as ‘nice’ inside as a CV8.

Future resale of possibly gargantuan proportions is an obvious plus ........ like the length of a piece of string ?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
We all have favs, but for me it would be a WRX, or a 2004-2007 Forester XT. Some tidy turbos around, comfortable, plenty of
grunt, and hot up bits. Already a bit of a cult car.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Personally I'd never consider a V6 Monaro, it just doesn't sit right with me. You'd always kick yourself down the line that you settled for a V6.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Show car, $10,000, requires no work.

You may need to pick one to compromise on.

I'd go MX-5 personally. The have a bit of character are plentiful and can be fun to drive.

A few years later throw a rota at it, or turbo and make it funner!

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd be willing to have a nice original car showing patina (not too much!), or something that requires a mild amount of work (that doesn't break the bank).

Anyway looked at my first car today, '92 VP Calais $2k, 184kkm. Nice original 2 owner vehicle in a nearby village. AC didn't work and there were too many scrapes and dings for my liking.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
With 10k and wanting to buy Holden, I'd be looking towards a VX Calais/WH Statesman international with the cream leather in the Calais and the that red leather in the statesman.
Both came with a V8 factory and most of the oil issues with the Gen 3 had be solved by that time.
Both are highly desirable now, even as a wreak/part out. 10k should get you into one that needs basic work due to the age of the vehicle. Would also solve most "it can't be found" parts problems as apart from interior - all the mechanical/electricals are the same from 1997 - 2003.

Other way would be to find a decent condition VN SS. They always seem to pull a crowd when parked. But if it doesn't have the fog lights -prepare to bend over on prices for them.