Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

idiots who shouldnt have a car

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore 2002 Executive v6. Ex Patrol Car

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
You get that everywhere though. I normally buy all my oils etc from there. Its more a self serve parts shop, whereas if you want advice, recommendations etc then Repco, Bursons etc are the go.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Bursons are great for knowing how to find the part you're looking for, even if they've no idea wtf it is.

Supercheap pay people to pick up a catalogue and tell you the part doesn't exist...

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Bursons are great for knowing how to find the part you're looking for, even if they've no idea wtf it is.

You'll probably notice that Repco are going to become more like that, too.

Using our old computer system, we actually needed to have half a clue to look things up, as we needed to know which category, then sub-category to look under. So if you had no idea what a centre bearing was, you'd probably look under "Engine components" instead of "Driveline" for example. Personally I preferred the old system, because as I said, you needed to know what you were on about to find things. It really separated the good staff from the not-so-good staff. Although it sometimes does get embarrassing when one of my fellow staff members calls out to me "Hey Luke, what's a thrust bearing under? Fan belts and pulleys?"

"No, clutch..."

That wasn't the only instance of that person asking me similar things, which were always met with a funny look from the customer they were serving..

But with the new computer system, it has a search function. So if someone rocks up and says they need a PCV valve, and you have no idea what the hell that is, all you need to do is search it and bingo, there it is. The downside to that is that any idiot can come in and work behind the parts desk, despite the fact that they know nothing about cars...

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I went into Repco here in shepp and asked for an air filter for an LS1.
Guy looked at me and said "is that the chev?"
I felt like being a smart arse and said no, he replied "nah we don't have them ones mate"
Went to autobarn and was done within 5mins.

You should have really screwed with his head and said "Nah, it's the SAAB" :p

And I completely agree with the comments that Burson's it where it's at.

I regularly go to the Mornington Bursons, always get good advice, 95% of the time the have the part I need and they just generally know their **** and know how to talk cars.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
IMO it really depends on who's working there at the time.

I go to autobarn in narre warren (coz i dnt go supercheap anymore haha) and the guys there have always been awesome. The only time i've ever had a guy who didn't know was when i got new brake pads for my car, he thought that the SS and SV6 brake pads were different, but soon found out (after he looked them up and a a small disagreement), that they were the same, but he apologised and no problem otherwise :)

but i spose pretty much everytime i've walked in there ive already known what i need and where it is, so the salespeople don't really need to know much... But IMO Autobarn is heaps better than SCA

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
^^^^ WTF does this have to do with the thread titled.... "http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/general/150265-idiots-who-shouldnt-have-car-2.html#post1686534"

IMHO and with no disrespect, just a bit OT Jimbeam91 :lmao:

People Who Shouldnt Be Allowed To Eat.

Its super cheap auto... Poor service, cannons, expensive. Just plain dicky. Why do I need to explain this?

I shop at SCA. Mind you, I only ever go there when I know exactly what I want and its either Car Wash products or simple oil. Repco in my area is much more expensive than SCA.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You'll probably notice that Repco are going to become more like that, too.

Using our old computer system, we actually needed to have half a clue to look things up, as we needed to know which category, then sub-category to look under. So if you had no idea what a centre bearing was, you'd probably look under "Engine components" instead of "Driveline" for example. Personally I preferred the old system, because as I said, you needed to know what you were on about to find things. It really separated the good staff from the not-so-good staff. Although it sometimes does get embarrassing when one of my fellow staff members calls out to me "Hey Luke, what's a thrust bearing under? Fan belts and pulleys?"

"No, clutch..."

That wasn't the only instance of that person asking me similar things, which were always met with a funny look from the customer they were serving..

But with the new computer system, it has a search function. So if someone rocks up and says they need a PCV valve, and you have no idea what the hell that is, all you need to do is search it and bingo, there it is. The downside to that is that any idiot can come in and work behind the parts desk, despite the fact that they know nothing about cars...

Problem is its cheaper to make an idiot proof system then it is to teach retards. And there's allot more retards out there then people who a mechanically minded. I wonder how much business is lost through the staff being mechanically retarded.