Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

If you had the chance.....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Calaber, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Some of the replies here give pretty good reasons for not going back and I sure won't argue with them. Perhaps it's because I was fortunate enough to grow up in a highly desirable area of Sydney, had a good family life and enjoyed whatever comforts were available at the time that I yearn to re-visit those times. Yet nobody else feels exactly the same way. Those who would go backwards would take the opportunity to improve their futures financially, but most of you would be reluctant because it could change the way your lives evolved since those times.

My purpose was simply to think about revisiting and observing how life was back then (whenever "then" was). To be an observer, see how people lived, perhaps how YOU lived back then (and possibly wonder how the hell you ever survived!) It's a bit odd that most of you interpreted it as going back and making changes, which you didn't want to do.

If I'd been born into a rural area with no decent roads and the various other things Figjam mentions, or into a divided, racist society like commodore, I'd rather leave it behind me too. Obviously, something I feel strongly in favour of is something others would resist just as strongly. That's the beauty of this forum. We don't have to all agree on the same things and often, we don't.

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    I'd love to go back to the 1950s. Especially the big family Christmas get togethers . Born and living in Scotland at that time we used to have a white Christmas every year and sometimes we were snowed in so we had about 20 relatives staying over for a few days or sometimes up to a week as the snow was about a metre deep . As for forfeiting a year of my life ,well i cheated death 2 years ago literally by 5 minutes so everything from then on is a bonus

3. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Good onya Dayvo. Finally someone who gets the idea. Must be our generation.

4. Dayvo

Dayvo Because i can

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Series 2
    No worries mate . It would also be great to listen to the stories first hand both my grandfathers used to tell about fighting in "The Great War " which at the time i was too young to appreciate. And to meet my older sister who died when i was very young .

5. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman
    I'd go back to the year 2000 when all my mates and I were about 20 and life was one big drunken party and the ecstasy was good but not dangerous and the whole scene would die out within a few years anyway so any harm was bound to be minimal. I took life way too seriously back then and wish I 'indulged' in life/women/whatever a bit more rather than worry about what people would think and what I was going to do for work/career. A slight regret but a regret nonetheless.

6. c2105026

c2105026 Member

Members Ride:
    1981 Volvo 244, 2015 Mazda3 Neo Hatch
    It could be interesting, I suppose, to revisit the 90s and observe the complete lack of technology and how it would have made life, in a way, much more inconvenient to say the least.

Doing up a car for example - nowadays you just google, eBay, whatever and if the part you need exists you can find it. Back then....you see an ad in a car mag for a parts warehouse (eg. rare spares). You call the number, and a week later you get a catalogue. You order from the catalogue and you post the form back and lo and behold you have a box of parts. Or....you are left with swap meets, just parts, your owners club or the local wreckers and leads on other wreckers that might have your car in stock. For your daily driver, fancy getting a set of sparkplugs from Big W?

Going out with people. You had to actually go out and communicate with eachother. If you decide at the drop of a hat to see a movie, you had to find a copy of the local paper for movie times. Oh that's another thing, back then regional cities had local papers worth reading!

Doing school assignments - my family was fortunate enough that we had sets of encyclopedias. If that wasn't detailed enough we had to go to the local library.

Watching actual proper sitcoms on TV, not the reality shit they have now

Making a mixtape of your favourite songs from your small but growing CD collection - nowadays a 200 song playlist from a 5000 song library is an hour of scrolling away

Embarking on a diet you had to look up Alan Borushek's calorie counter and work it out for yourself. Pen and paper. Now its MyFitnessPal

Back then if you went for a run, you'd have to measure your route in the car or by scale off a map. Nowadays there's GPS watches.

and so on.....

7. Towcar

Towcar Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    I would go back to my teens and stop myself from smoking, teach saving and hammer in that I need to buy a home as early as possible.

For the most part that will give me back a few years from not smoking and a better future where financially I'd be better off.

8. Towcar

Towcar Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    I would go back to my teens and stop myself from smoking, teach saving and hammer in that I need to buy a home as early as possible.

For the most part that will give me back a few years from not smoking and a better future where financially I'd be better off.

9. Risky

Risky Guest

If I go go back there would be a lot I would change.

Starting with my parents. I would have gotten mum out of the railways & told her to keep healthy to help either stop or slow her dementia as she's experiencing now. I would have gotten my dad to have taken better care of himself so he wouldn't have had arthritis throughout his body & not contracted MRSA which eventually killed him. I would have wanted their lifestyles to change for the better to grow old together in retirement.

I would have gotten my first girlfriend & myself not go out on our Vespas to go to the shops back on the 23rd May 1987 where she got killed by a truck driver going through a stop sign. I intended to marry her & she knew it.

To have triple checked that the secondary store room was properly cleared of asbestos that we used at work instead of suffering the early stages of asbestosis that I have now. The company that removed it should have done the job properly.

10. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper New Member

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    well that was depressing

kiwicon likes this.
  11. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    I would have two choices, off to the 70s coz the cars, the music and the chance to actually enjoy some success of the Richmond Football Club or the 80's to view myself as a teenager from the third person.....more out of interest sake than anything else. Would I be prepared to sacrifice one year at the end of my life to do so ? Sure, why not. It would likely mean one year less in a nursing home drooling over myself. I could forego that.

BUT, I wouldn't give myself any advice or change anything. Could I have done things differently ? Probably. But I don't believe in having regrets. Decisions were made at a particular time for a particular reason. If I didn't make those decisions at those times, I wouldn't be the person I am today in the position I am today with a great wife and kids living a comfortable life in a nice home.

12. Hertz Donut

Hertz Donut Member

Members Ride:
    Beastmode VS Equipe
    Late to the party since I forgot my username (d'oh), but...

I wouldn't go back. My childhood was pretty crap, surrounded by a family with varying levels of alcohol and drug addiction, broken marriages, violence and so on. I was first exposed to drugs when I was 4 years old and given my first beer at 8. Once I left home and found my independence I stumbled my way through the same vices for a few years and my early 20s are a bit of a haze because of that. I met a great lass in 1995 who would become a good mate, then girlfriend, and now wife for the past 11 years and mother to my two children.

I've vowed to myself to never subject my kids to the environment in which I grew up and have cut ties with my family until they can face up to their own demons and clean up their act. I've chosen to break the cycle and look ahead, not back. For all I know I don't have a year left to live (face it, none of us can be sure) and going back in time would be wasting what little time there is left. Perhaps the most "free" point in my life was just before we got married - we both had high paying jobs and a lot of momentum in our lives - but while it was a fun time there was a hole in it that has since been filled by starting my own family.

If I had to go back and live a year in my life it would be this year. We're financially stable and have a plan for the future that will present a great challenge for ourselves and a fantastic environment in which our kids will learn so much about the world around them and have space to grow into the best people they can be. If anything I can't wait for the future.

VS_Pete and markalan1two like this.
  13. markalan1two

markalan1two Smile and wave boys !!!!

Members Ride:
    X3 3.0 BMW, Gen F 2 GTS
    Good on you Hertz sometimes it takes bad experiences to appreciate the good ones and it sound like you have a great life to enjoy now

14. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper New Member

Members Ride:
    String Theory
    Ultimately you only go around once. Do what makes to happy and be damned with everything else!

markalan1two likes this.
  15. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    Going back knowing what I know now, all will be much different. Going back in and forgetting the future is déjà vu. My long term memory is super good; do not ask to bring milk on my way home, I will forget it.

I would pick this time. Me, dad, sister and dad's 1969 Pontiac Tempest. That was a company car, every year got a new one. Before that one was the 68 model but blue. However, the red one, is the one that I have more fond memories.

[​IMG]

commodore665, VS_Pete and Risky like this.
  16. devilly

devilly Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT commodore
    i would change that hilter wouldn't live to see day light and put all those women,men and children through hell.i bet the government would have put in place better board control.when you live in a real world not a delusion one,you know this post is unhealth as the for people that have lost legs,loved ones e.t.c.and been through only downs in life its gonna be over emotional for some people and then who on here will support them.as for me I've had a bad life but it's only making me stronger and more determine :) wouldn't change a thing in my life :) i can do it and i wont complain, i'll just keep on fighting until the day i die :) :)

17. Darren

Darren Administrator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV Clubsport R8 E2 M6
    Guys I'm over the belittling users do it elsewhere.

Fun is fun but I'm over it and gets old.

Pull your heads in some people aren't as fortunate as some but they certainly don't have a choice.

Gaiter and VS_Pete like this.
  18. Skydrol

Skydrol Active Member

Members Ride:
    Pontiac G8 GT
    I am under the impression the poster speaks another language and used an online translator. Have anybody seen Chinese to English translations...?

19. devilly

devilly Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VT commodore
    i hope this wasn't aimed at me ? have i missed something ?
    this post isn't right i disagree with it. all it does is trigger bad memories for some people,or delusions of grandeur. and some of the replies are heartless comments.

20. elless1

elless1 Member

Members Ride:
    VU SS
    I would probably hang commodore parts on the time machine and let sit
    outside to rust, and not tell anybody about it. Then sell it for scrap when
    i need money.

Either that or go to the seventies.