Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ignition Barrel

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Im having problems when turning on my car, the ignition barrel gets stuck and i have to turn it back slightly manually. How do i stop this or fix it? Cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I just fixed a similar problem in my VS by fitting a new lock barrel and ignition switch. My ignition key doesnt come out of the lock when its in the ON position any more, my steering lock now works again, and the key now springs straight back to the proper ON position from the START position every time.
I paid around $60 -$70 for a new ignition switch and around $80-$90 for a new lock barrel from my local holden dealer. You can code the new barrel to suit your ignition key so you can then keep the same old ignition key that fits the doors and boot etc.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Change the ignition barrel while you are still able to turn the key, once it jams, it is a real bastard to change.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah, as abba mentions, it needs to be on the ACC or ON position for the barrel to be removed.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Cos my key doesnt pull out, its only started sticking since i changed my indicator stalk (high beams constantly flicking on). Would rather not change barrel as my wifes sick of me fixing the car lol but if i have to i will.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
I wrote a howto on VX lock barrel change here. I would assume VS is similar.

Yes, you'll probably need to sign up to see it, I'm not going to paste it here.