Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

improving fuel consumption

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Yeah it sounds dodge to me too...

I was thinking today, after reading their website an their promises, that even if it did get the published 10% economy gain, you'd be saving about $10 every two tanks of petrol (it's about $50 to fill my car up, roughly lasts me a week or so.) So, saving $10 every 2 weeks, at $400 to have it installed, it would take 80 weeks to even start making any money back for you. A year and a half. IF it even worked as published!

Long enough for them to lure in some suckers, make some money, and then fold without a trace...

Gees, aren't I the optimist tonight? :D

UNSAFE

at any speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn battlewagon
i have hiclone in a landcruiser and yes it does give better economy by about 100kms per tank (125L) but its a diesel

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
UNSAFE said:
i have hiclone in a landcruiser and yes it does give better economy by about 100kms per tank (125L) but its a diesel

Ok, that's a lot better than I was expecting... How much did it cost?

Worth giving it a try if it has that effect!

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
wheres the steak knives?

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
just resurecting this topic, with a slight change!

I just did a fault test, which revelaed that everything was A ak (ie. code 12). Thing is, I get around 11L/100km (average of city and country, last 5 tanks) in my VN V6. In other words, I get about 365km per tank - which is no good for a V6, right?

I've installed a CAI, with K&N filter, and cleaned the TB - everything else is stock, and I run it on regular unleaded.

What should I do? What are the signs that I need to clean injectors/get new ones? Could it be spark plugs/leads? the fuel regulator? Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and in case your wondering, I dont think its my foot :). I only plant it once or twice a tank.

aokman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Super6
jack.mcintyre said:
just resurecting this topic, with a slight change!

I just did a fault test, which revelaed that everything was A ak (ie. code 12). Thing is, I get around 11L/100km (average of city and country, last 5 tanks) in my VN V6. In other words, I get about 365km per tank - which is no good for a V6, right?

I've installed a CAI, with K&N filter, and cleaned the TB - everything else is stock, and I run it on regular unleaded.

What should I do? What are the signs that I need to clean injectors/get new ones? Could it be spark plugs/leads? the fuel regulator? Any help would be appreciated!

Oh, and in case your wondering, I dont think its my foot :). I only plant it once or twice a tank.

There is another thread about 4 down where i solved my fuel consumption issue finally on the last 2 pages, try pulling the vacuum line off your fuel regulator and see if you can smell petrol. If you can its time for a aftermarket regulator or a OEM BOSCH one if you want to waste $120 but aftermarket ones are tons better.

Try putting some injector cleaner in to be sure your injectors are flowing right but i bet they are fine unless the rubber O rings have broken apart.

The cause of my bad consumption was my fuel regulator supplying too much or too little fuel, this resulted in the car being hard to start when its hot and also causing my EV1 injectors to not atomise fuel correctly.

I went from 320km a tank to 550-600km estimated.

Last edited:

jack.mc

Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
great, thanks, I'll do it tomorrow at work. Forgive my ignrance, but could i get some detailed instructions? Thanks heaps - that sounds just like my fuel economy!

Olden

Reaction score
I've picked up about 50Km per tank, just by changing from a stock air filter to a pod, no re-tuning or anything. I run on gas most of the time and average about 470Km per tank now.

aokman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Super6
What did you want to know? start by pulling off the small tube on the fuel regulator located on the fuel rail and see if you can smell any petrol.

jack.mc

Reaction score
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
thanks, I'll do it at work today. So if there is no problem, there is no smell. I did some "theoretical" figures last night, and they came out way different to what i'm getting - I get around 11L/100km (this I am relatively sure of), and usually drive ~350km between fillups.

But, 63 (tank size) / 11 (fuel consumption) * 100 = around 570 - the number of kays I should get from a tank! I guess if I filled it to the brim, and ran it till it died, I might get a bit closer, but I cant see another 200km!