Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

intercooler for l67

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
I was wondering if it's worth getting a mace w2a or a yella terra stealth w2a intercooler.
What's the benefits and disadvantages of each w2a intercooler kit.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore,77 Charger,Cagiva Raptor 1000
I was wondering if it's worth getting a mace w2a or a yella terra stealth w2a intercooler.
What's the benefits and disadvantages of each w2a intercooler kit.
W2A intercoolers are much more efficient than A2A intercoolers. You can run a higher boost with them (generally)and have more compact water to air radiators which can be mounted in more convenient places. The downside is you'll have to fit another electrical system and another closed loop cooling system that may need maintenance or possibly break down. Some people go completely nuts and fit water spray jets in front of the radiators for extra, extra cold air.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Whilst the above is true, with the M90 blower there is just a small limited space under the blower which limits the size of the W2A IC and therefore limits the amount of cooling that can be achieved. The other option is to fit a thicker IC plate but that is limited by how much you can raise the blower before you have bonnet clearance issues. Generally speaking, on a Commodore you can raise the blower about 50mm before running into that issue.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi @Locl67vy there was a guy on here last year doing a VS L67 Ute with a Hybrid setup

Might be worth a look to see what he did and pick up a few pointers.
Mace or YT, personally i go Mace but that is just me, cause i have purchased many parts with no issues.

Locl67vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy commodore l67
W2A intercoolers are much more efficient than A2A intercoolers. You can run a higher boost with them (generally)and have more compact water to air radiators which can be mounted in more convenient places. The downside is you'll have to fit another electrical system and another closed loop cooling system that may need maintenance or possibly break down. Some people go completely nuts and fit water spray jets in front of the radiators for extra, extra cold air.
Do you know how long the w2a plate lasts? I've also seen a bloke on YouTube make a interchiller kit which uses your aircon lines to chill the water down.

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you know how long the w2a plate lasts? I've also seen a bloke on YouTube make a interchiller kit which uses your aircon lines to chill the water down.
No mate, I built a W2A system years ago for my "experimental" VL turbo. Worked great until the bottom end wore out. My best advice would be to keep it simple, don't use the aircon there's to many losses there. W2A is best but A2A is "fit and forget". Use a tried and true system for best reliability so you won't have to continually stuff around like I had too.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
For the L67 the best IC system is A2A/W2A hybrid system. Basically what Scotty used on the VN on Carnage but don't follow that build as a guideline, he experiments by blowing **** up because that makes the show, not good engine combo's.

Any system should last just like the engine if looked after. With W2A you'll need to do maintenance like flushing the coolant and running anti-corrosives etc to ensure a long life. As mentioned above, A2A is more set and forget.

Reactions: Lex

Crunchy Granola

Reaction score
Members Ride
For the L67 the best IC system is A2A/W2A hybrid system. Basically what Scotty used on the VN on Carnage but don't follow that build as a guideline, he experiments by blowing **** up because that makes the show, not good engine combo's.

Any system should last just like the engine if looked after. With W2A you'll need to do maintenance like flushing the coolant and running anti-corrosives etc to ensure a long life. As mentioned above, A2A is more set and forget.
Just a quick note, I had some issues with water pump failures, until a mate who was into boats suggested to use a "Bilge" pump as they are made pretty much bullet proof. He was right, no more problems.