Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is anyone considering the NG commodore after their VF?

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SS-V Redline Sedan LMF
So an update to some of the new ZB Commodores. I went and drove a variety of ZB Commodores and non-Commodores around the actual circuit of Sandown. I drove a VFII SV6 Commodore around a wet slalom course, then I drove ZB AWD Commodore around the same course. I drove a Calais V Tourer around suburban Melbourne, as well as being a rear passenger in a VXR and a front passenger in an RS. Below are my thoughts of each event:

1) Driving a variety of ZB Commodores and non-Commodores around the actual circuit of Sandown:
-- I first drove a VXR and was directly behind the pace car, which happened to be a VFII SV6. I got up to 135km on the back straight but was restricted to the pace car. The AWD handled the corners really well, and at no stage did I feel that I was understeering or oversteering around the corners. The grip was better than my VFII Redline, had I have driven it around this track. I have driven my VFII Redline around a large roundabout elsewhere, and it understeered. So I am only assuming that it could have done the same, but I did not have either car in the other condition or situation so I can't conclude which would have handled better.
-- We had to swap drivers on alternate cars, so I was a passenger in a Calais Tourer, an RS, and what was believed to be one of the diesels, but I did not ask so I could not confirm.
-- My only other drive was a Calais with AWD, and it handled quite well overall.
-- My other 2 drives happened to be the non-Commodores - a VW Passat wagon 2.0TI which was quite zippy, but handled poorly around the corners; and a Mazda 6 with Sport mode on, which was extremely slow from the poor handling corners, but I managed to get it to 150km on the back straight, only to try and catch up to the ZB Commodore ahead, with the whining and struggling 6 speeds.
-- I happened to have another go with the VXR, but this time around I tried the paddle shifters and again was limited to the pace car ahead. I realised afterwards that I did not have it in VXR nor Sport modes when I was driving the VXR.

2) Driving a VFII SV6 Commodore around a wet slalom course, then a ZB AWD Commodore around the same course:
-- We were asked to take the VFII SV6 Commodore wide and go through the course, then hop into the ZB AWD Commodore and repeat the same course. Although the VFII did handle quite well, the ZB with the AWD did handle better - not significantly, and certainly not marginally - but it did handle better.

3) Driving some ZB Commodores around suburban Melbourne:
-- I was first in the back seat of a VXR and although the seats were firmer than a VFII, it wasn't uncomfortable. I had plenty of leg room - thank you to the shorter than me driver, and I'm not the tallest variety of males - and I was told a slightly firmer seat is better for longer drives. I tried the seat warmer and it worked OK, but quickly turned it off due to the warm weather today. The VXR mode didn't really help in city traffic and we were directly behind the pace car.
-- In the next car I was the front passenger in an RS. I have driven the 2.0l turbo before but as a passenger it was smooth and comfortable. The dash layout was quite nice overall.
-- In the last car I was the driver of a Calais V Tourer. I had the opportunity to stop for another car to pass as I was coming out of a street, I had a little room to move and catchup to the other ZB ahead so I gave it a little throttle. It picked up quite well but it was no V8, and I didn't expect it to be. The dash layout was really nice with the visual display in the between the steering wheel was bright and clear, as well as the heads up display. I turned on the massager on the seat which alternatively massages the mid to lower back area. Although awkward at first I got used to it after 5 minutes, but it automatically switches off after 10 minutes. A quick press of a button on the right hand side of the seat turned it back on for more massaging.

My conclusion:
-- Yes, there is no V8 Commodore any more
-- Yes, it's not a rear wheel drive
-- Yes, it is a real Commodore
-- Overall they are all very smooth to drive with the 9 speed transmission (other than the diesel, which I did not drive)
-- The 2.0l turbo is more responsive than the old V6 in the VFIIs, maybe due to the smooth 9 speed transmission
-- The obvious 2 favourites are the VXR and the Calais V Tourer - both top of the line

All the above are my opinions and reviews for the cars driven today. There may be some errors in some of the above.

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR in Absolute Red in the showroom:

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais V Touer in Cosmic Grey in showroom, plus the car I drove in suburban Melbourne:

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Good write up.
I've never driven a ZB. That said, I am a fan personally and believe they'll sell well in their categories.
A couple of questions:
1. What do you mean by "yes it's a real Commodore"?
It's less of a real Commodore to me than a 1970's Opel. The base car for our VB. Because they became real Commodores. This is a pure impirt. Tweaked for Australia. It's no morexa "real Commodore" to me, than the VB was a "real Kingswood".
That said, I think it was a smart move by Holden. I also think, if it stays around long enough. It may redefine what a "real Commodore" is.
2. I've never noticed understeer in my VF Redline. Certainly not in my Motorsport. I've pushed both to near the limits of the tyres around 90° corners at slow speeds and high speed bends. The latter always with a trailing throttle, and the ability or action of inducing a little oversteer with the right foot, when needed. I've done this on dry and wet roads. So, I'm interested in how you have understeered your Redline on a roundabout? I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just that you must have either been pushing extremely hard, or driving with the intention of inducing understeer.
Noting the above, how can you say the ZB handled better than a VF2 Redline, when you didn't have one there to compare it to under the same conditions?
No offence mate, but I'm reading a little subjectivity into that comment.
I'm looking forward to driving one soon.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Good write up.
I've never driven a ZB. That said, I am a fan personally and believe they'll sell well in their categories.
A couple of questions:
It's less of a real Commodore to me than a 1970's Opel. The base car for our VB. Because they became real Commodores. This is a pure impirt. Tweaked for Australia. It's no morexa "real Commodore" to me, than the VB was a "real Kingswood".
That said, I think it was a smart move by Holden. I also think, if it stays around long enough. It may redefine what a "real Commodore" is.
2. I've never noticed understeer in my VF Redline. Certainly not in my Motorsport. I've pushed both to near the limits of the tyres around 90° corners at slow speeds and high speed bends. The latter always with a trailing throttle, and the ability or action of inducing a little oversteer with the right foot, when needed. I've done this on dry and wet roads. So, I'm interested in how you have understeered your Redline on a roundabout? I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just that you must have either been pushing extremely hard, or driving with the intention of inducing understeer.
Noting the above, how can you say the ZB handled better than a VF2 Redline, when you didn't have one there to compare it to under the same conditions?
No offence mate, but I'm reading a little subjectivity into that comment.
I'm looking forward to driving one soon.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
At least the drive train seems to be a step up especially the auto. The 3l petrol has more punch than I thought, had to have 95 and up yhough.

Cuda any VF V8 really pushed under steers a bit just the extra weight good tyres suspension help but still there(at least on a track)

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
images

Now it is looking a bit Mazda and a bit Ford. Do car car manufacturers need to start using the massive logos strategy, that they use on the back of their commercial / utility vehicles? Then we might have a chance of being able to pick the brand.
img_0311-jpg.197978

Last edited:

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
At vulputate cursus lacinia augue leo convallis fringilla sem proin ante, conubia non viverra euismod per neque accumsan hendrerit senectus, euismod suspendisse habitasse nisi nunc aliquam augue hac vehicula morbi hac venenatis amet vel arcu per sit turpis bibendum, leo lacus venenatis habitant class fringilla mi inceptos integer, blandit odio ad arcu lacus inceptos amet tempor ipsum himenaeos primis morbi id pretium ante leo, rhoncus mattis curabitur suscipit accumsan nullam urna, ornare ultrices cursus per donec tellus.

Last edited:

VFII•17

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good write up.

Thank you.

I'd thought this would stir things up, so I wrote it before anyone would reply with "It's not a real Commodore"

2. I've never noticed understeer in my VF Redline. So, I'm interested in how you have understeered your Redline on a roundabout? I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just that you must have either been pushing extremely hard, or driving with the intention of inducing understeer.

I had a friend in the car and I was pushing hard around a large roundabout, not with the intention of inducing understeer, but to see what the G meter was reading. I think I got to 1.03-1.07, but it's a bit hard trying to look straight at the heads up display when you are turning your head looking to see where you are turning.

I did state that I have not driven my Redline around a racetrack (particularly Sandown), so I don't know that it would understeer or not. The AWD ZB did handle well around corners at Sandown, but I have not tried the same large roundabout that I had my Redline at, so I could not conclude if it would be better or not. With my Redline, I have taken a number of sharps corners around town and have pushed a little hard. There has been a few times I got a little bit of understeer. I am no racing driver and maybe I am doing something wrong, but I am no slouch either.